WB Pistol Grips and Numb Hands Hints

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Canadian GreenScape, May 18, 2004.

1. Canadian GreenScape

Canadian GreenScape LawnSite Member

After a few long days on the walkbehind my hands were killing me at the end of the day. The latest was my finger tips were throbbing and felt like they had all been hit by a hammer. This along with sore wrists and finger tendons. So today I tried something new.. I always made sure one hand was off the hydro controls.. even if it was just for a couple seconds.. constantly changing depending on which control was needed to straighten the mower. Left on.. right off.. right on.. left off.. (kind of like hot potato :p ) It took awhile to get used to but it helped alot!! fingers are not as sore today and my wrists feel fine. I was in the habit of putting all my weight on the handles when turning on a hill to get my weight off the proslide so the mower could turn eaiser. It worked good but killed my wrists after awhile.. Just some ideas.. Theres a few links below too.. I dont want to chance getting CTS.

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
    http://my.webmd.com/hw/health_guide_atoz/stc123626.asp?navbar=aa3102

Repetitive Motion Syndrome (I think this is what I was getting)
    http://my.webmd.com/hw/health_guide_atoz/tw4314.asp?navbar=aa3102

2. Canadian GreenScape

Canadian GreenScape LawnSite Member

I meant to say I stopped putting all my weight on the WB handles when turning on hills and started just stepping off.. thats what seemed to help

3. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

4. Rick Jones

Rick Jones LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Unfortunately the pistol grip setup found on most walk behind mowers contributes to carpal tunnel and repetitive stress injuries.

It has been suggested on here before that the spring tension on the pistol grips can be loosened up a bit, but I'm not familiar with the procedure for doing so.

Next time you purchase a walk-behind, you might want to consider an alternative control system such as the Toro or Hustler.

5. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

you might be fighting your controls too much. With a hydro it usually takes a very light touch to go straight. If your constantly have to squeeze hard on either handle then your tracking might be off. instead of taking your hands off the controls just relax them. you can even make slight adjustments by pushing side to side some.
    after pistol grips for a few years i went with the hustler h-bar. no more sore wrists.