WB question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dldonnelly, Apr 5, 2002.

1. dldonnelly

dldonnelly LawnSite Member
    from ga

I'm a one man show so I decided to buy my first wb to save time cutting. I decided on a 36"Toro w/floating sfs deck but found out that it dosent have a mulching kit. My question is will the grass clippings coming out the side be significate enough to be concerned with? or should I get the 36" fixed deck inwhich they make a mulching kit?. and if I get a fix deck will I have to worry about scalping? Thanks for all for all your help.
    Dwayne

2. toby

toby LawnSite Member
    from ontario

I think the 36 SFS is the only Toro SFS without a mulch kit avail..
    Bolt a cover over the discharge & run double blades, gators & high-lift gators. This should work nearly as well in most conditions.
    If your just mulching get an Exmark TTHP.

3. dlandscaping

dlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from mass

Get the floating deck, you have a rolling deck with easy height adjustments and an elec clutch. I should have gotten that instead i have the fixed deck machine. It will scalp if you are not careful, but the cut wont look great where a floating deck would trace the turf and give a good cut. with the fixed i havent gotten the mulching kit yet. I dont think i will but it would be nice to trim with both sides. my dealer doesnt stock em and says the ones he sold the people werent all that happy and suggests putting a plate over discharge. I run doubles now thanks to Eric Erikson and havent had to double cut since.

4. sheppard

sheppard LawnSite Senior Member

IMHO get the floating deck. Sure enouph you'll get some accounts on your route that have 2" high requests and 3.5" requests.

I agree w/ the other comments that getting a piece of expanded metal is much more prefered that buying retail price for a mulching kit. Ditto's on the Gators- only way to go!

If you are a big man then get something bigger than a 12.5 engine- not big enouph to pull you and double blades if you are approaching 190 lbs.

Cordially,
    Sheppard