WB Repairs

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by DaveRave07, Aug 16, 2005.

1. DaveRave07

DaveRave07 LawnSite Member
    from NY

Looking to buy a used WB that needs to have idler pulley and center spindle bearings replaced. How difficult is it to replace these these? I am new to the business so do not know much about the machines but am fairly handy.

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

It depends on what brand and how old this unit is as to how difficult the spindle will be, The idler is nothing to replace.

3. DaveRave07

DaveRave07 LawnSite Member
    from NY

Thanks for the quick reply. Exmark Viking - about 5 years old.

4. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I have an Exmark Viking, a bit older than 5 years. Mine is a double spindle, yours must be a triple (you mentioned "middle"). I presume your spindles are the same as mine, except the middle one has a double pulley.

I have replaced the spindle bearings a few times. The first was the most difficult. Now, I know what tools to use, how to position the housing in the vice, etc. I replaced both spindle bearing sets a couple of months ago -- about two hours, start to finish. I'm just an amateur mechanic with simple tools.

I believe the original set was more difficult to get out than later sets. Yes, I've learned what to do, how to do, but the first set was tighter in the housing.

5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

If you click on the Exmark Logo on the top of the page,Then Landscape Professional, Then look up top for Service & Support and a down window will show Parts Lookup then click on General Search it will tell you how to look up a parts break-down on the spindle assembly. Then you can see how it's assembled. I've found on any spindle rebuild about the hardest part is getting the pulley off with no damage after that the rest goes pretty easy.