WB size matters?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by delphied, Jun 17, 2008.

1. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

Thinking about a WB in either 48 or 52. Which is more versatile? I hate to go small but I need a smaller mower to compliment my 66.
  2. Danielslawnservice

Danielslawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

well if all u normally use is a 66" than i'd go 52"
  3. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

A lot depends on the brand you are looking at, the deck offset (cutting edge side) can differ. Also, do you have a lot of gates? I personally would go w/ the 48"
  4. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

i have a 52'' scag for sale let me know if you want more info.
  5. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

delph - need more specifics, why do you need the WB exactly? Gates? Small Residential?

If any of these, I wouldn't get a WB with such a large deck. You already have the big Z. Take a look at a 36" or 44" machine, those would be much more versatile I think, than a big deck WB.
  6. delphied

Im going to replace my 44 Toro Proline. I need it for small to medium residential. Gates have never been an issue on any properties as of yet. I think the only reason I would go smaller than a 52 is for a better cut quality. The reason I want a WB is to be able to get at weird hills and ditch banks as well. I will also use a sulky or Pro Slide with it. Does a one wheel sulky that Exmark sells leave a tire mark in the stripe? Is a Proslide better than a sulky?
  7. delphied

Do fixed decks scalp bad ?
  8. Chris G

Chris G LawnSite Member

if you were only debating between the 52 and 48 and you already have a 66 i would definitely go with the 48 just because they are easier to fit in and out of gates and they are just all around more versatile
  9. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

If you're going to mow yards with weird hills and ditches as you say, don't even think about a fixed deck. A floating deck is the only way to go.
  10. delphied

Thats what I needed to know. What about 48 vs 52 in terms of cut quality. I would like the 52 since I have no postage stamps and gates arent an issue. Will the cut be just as good ? Is it too big to handle on the sides of slopes,etc?