WB/SWB cut quality

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by Doc Pete, Jul 21, 2004.

1. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

I've been running doubles and/or highlift blades since I bought my WB's about 4 years ago. Today, I had some mowing that I didn't want to hurt my nice blades, so I off my good setup of doubles and put a single set of "stock lift" blades on to mow.

Wow, now I understand why some guy's complain about the cut quality of the WB's. The standard blade for Hustler Wb's are low lift, and quite frankly, they stink.
    When I mowed with the stock blades they cut poorly, left trails from the from tires matting down the grass, and those "Plantain" things with the stalk took three passes to cut.
    So, if any of you are not overly happy with the Wb's cut, my suggestion is scape the stock low lift blades and cut using nothing less than single high lift blades, or for the SWB's double high lifts.
    Pete

2. sodzilla

sodzilla LawnSite Member

I started out the season running gators on my 37". Not mulching just SD. I know what you mean about the front tire strip. I put the factory blades back on until my high lifts came( buy the way thanks for the tip on the high lifts a while ago Pete). They helped some, but when I put the HL's what a difference. I'm running the HL's with a .25" pitch and a homemade rubber flap stripping kit and all my lawns look awsome.

I actaully just got a new account last week and mowed it for the first time yesterday. Last night the homeowner called me when she got home. She said she couldn't believe how nice her lawn looked. She had no idea that her lawn could have stripes in it.

3. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

We just put doubles on are 37WB this year and its a bagging machine now. This winter we are going to put a new bigger engine on it. At least the 17hp or 19hp if it will bolt up.

4. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Here's what I'm working on at the moment. These custom blades cut 6 inches of thick Jersey grass and make the lawn looked bagged.
    I'm still designing and welding, but I believe Hustler is looking in the same area for blade design.
    Also, clumping is basically gone, and just can't mow heavy enough grass to clog the 54" WB deck.

blade new.jpg