WB tires leaving black marks on concrete

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by naturescape, May 13, 2008.

1. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

My WB tires seems to be leaving more of a black mark on concrete than they used to, maybe I'm just noticing it more.

I'm using Turf Master tires on an Exmark TT. Are there any other tires out there that don't mark concrete as badly? I love the Turf Masters otherwise.....

I don't like turning on turf if it can be avoided.

2. J&J Customs

J&J Customs LawnSite Member

neighbors grasshopper had the same problem he switched to turf savers works really well

3. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

I've used 3 different tire styles on my Toro36" WB and leave marks with all styles. It's just the nature of twisting the tire in one spot as you turn. The only way around it is harder rubber. But I've yet to find a higher grade mower tire... Good luck.

4. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

My newer JD ztrs leave black marks on concrete. Doesn't matter if I'm turning hard or not. Seems much worse on newer concrete.

5. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

Well, I guess you can be comforted in the thought that if they're leaving rubber everywhere they go then they won't last long...

Sucks man. Good luck...

6. Tinkerer

Tinkerer LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe someone should make a hovercraft ZTR.

7. J&J Customs

J&J Customs LawnSite Member

eastman makes a hover mower haha

8. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Both my TTs do the same thing. Heck my Z does the same thing and a lot of times the turn doesn't even need to be sharp.

It does seem to be worse with newer concrete which can have a rougher texture and also newer tires seem to have more visible marks.

I just try to stay off concrete as much as possible anyways, with a lot of new homes around here the concrete texture is not so smooth, and grass can get ground into the surface of the sidewalk or driveway just by running it over. I'd rather turn on the turf, it's pretty easy to do without tearing as long as you're careful.

9. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

I've never liked the Turf Savers on my old Snappers, but I may try a pair on the Exmark. I've been considering it, glad to hear they worked well in this case. (They didn't seem to have enough traction on the Snapper, but the Exmark is a totally different machine in terms of balance.)

10. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

as a home owner and LCo. I never liked seeing tire marks from Wb and ZTR on the drive way...I always turned on the grass, The grass grows back. but tire marks on the driveway/sidewalks seem to last a long long time...