WB users, do your hands hurt?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CURB APPEAL NC, Jun 28, 2005.

1. CURB APPEAL NC

CURB APPEAL NC LawnSite Member

I purchased a Quick 36 for my main mower since most of my accounts are small and gated. Problem is I think the vibration is killing my hands. I keep the blades as balanced as I can (can't afford one of those $300 dollar balancers right now) I use a cone balancer. Latley when I wake up my hands hurt and feel swollen alittle. specially my right. I love the mower but if this keeps up imsure i'll have some serious problem soon. any suggestions.

2. yz250fpilot

yz250fpilot LawnSite Member

My Toro 36" Hydro WB with pistol grips gives me no such problems.

3. simsy71

simsy71 LawnSite Member

My hands never hurt to the extent of your but when I had a pistol grip mower there where times when my hand and wrists ached. Since I got a exmark with ecs controls my hands never hurt.

4. Carolina Cutter

Carolina Cutter LawnSite Senior Member

My Metro with the ECS system causes me NO problems.....

5. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

You're probably holding on too tight. Let the mower do the work. You are just there to guide it.
    I had the same problem when I raced motorcycles. I would hold on too tight and get arm pump and my hands would go numb.
    You're still going to feel it but, relax and see if it helps.

6. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

ECS is the key...young jedi...I ain't kidding. In this world, there are "only, only" 3 systems of control on WB that will not hurt but increase your $ productivity.
    1. ECS on eXmark Hydro
    2. Quad-lever system on Stander
    3. Hustler's H bar

These 3 have been tested, proven by so many seasoned LCO who primarily use WB as their bread & butter mower. I use ECS on my 52 TTHP and I guarantee you that it rocks if not better than Stander Quad bar.
    Pistol grip won't stand a chance cutting 8 hrs with full speed 6 mph, doing 10-13 lawns a day, your wrist and arm will be swollen and gettin pus, and injury down the road.

7. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

4. Toro's T-bar ( the only setup I'd use on a W/B )
    5. The setup used by Gravely ( I don't know what they call it, but it looks like a decent setup..)
    6. And the setup used by Lesco on their new Hydro Walks.. Looks a lot like the Gravely setup..

8. ercrvs24

ercrvs24 LawnSite Member

I've got a 36 metro pistol grip and my wrists kill me. They are so sore and weak feeling after a full day of mowing. I'm getting a lesco wb next season with the new controls.

9. spcfoor

spcfoor LawnSite Senior Member

The Gravely controls is the pro-steer. I have a 36" wb with it and love it. Just wish I would have bought hydo and floating deck.

10. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I hate to say it, but you might have to let that little mower go.

I can't deal with vibration either. Cripples me up.
    I don't like nor do I see the need for anything that requires a gorrilla grip to control it.

However, I can vouch for what Tharrell is saying to be true. I've done the same thing while racing motorcycles. Also, I have a little nerve damage that affects the feeling in my left arm and hand. I don't realize my own grip in it. So I hurt myself the same way by holding on to the ZTR levers too tight.