WB users, question about deck height

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Lynden-Jeff, Jun 21, 2006.

1. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey,

I have a question about deck height. I have a bobcat ztr and a 32" fixed deck for gates. It seems like changing the deck height on the walk behind is a real pain in the rear on the walk behind. Do you guys change this for every customer that wants a different height or do you just use a standard cut height?

Cheers
    Jeff

2. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

The fixed deck mowers stay at a fixed height! If you want to adjust, use the spacers on the front wheels!

3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Mow all lawns at same height.

You can change WB cut height slightly by lowering front casters.

Adjusting the rear is the PITA.

4. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

Ya. Ive also noticed reading the manual its never at exactly 3" or 3.25" its something like 3.142 or 3.288. I will probably try and get it close enough to 3-3.25 (what I usually cut at) so I can use it with the ZTR and not have a difference in cut height.

Cheers
    Jeff

5. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

I watched a buddy change deck height on his fixed deck lesco yesterday. Actually I got roped into helping.

I'm glad i've got a floating deck on my WB. About 15 seconds to adjust height, it's great.

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Not to argue, but the reason they're called fixed decks is because the deck and the frame do not swivel independently of each other like the float, thou you are correct on the height setting.

But float or fixed I cut 3" always, that bs with 'can you change the cut height' is for the birds.
    15 seconds my foot, you still got 4 pins and clips and what if you get one that's off, and what if you forget to reset it at the end of the yard and end up cutting a slew at the wrong height? effoinez that!

7. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Sometimes you might want to cut at a higher height, if it's gotten tall and a double cut is in order.

Mabye YOU might not be able to change my deck's height in 15 seconds, but I can.

As far as forgetting where the deck is set and/or losing a pin, if you're not smart enough to pay attention to where the deck is set at, then yah, mabye you need to stay with a fixed deck...

8. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

you can change your deck height in 15 seconds, It takes me aboue 2 seconds to go from1 1/2 to 3 1/2 . It's called buy a FERRIS .

9. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

I run into the same problems with needing to cut dif yards at dif. heights. I just swap the spacers in front and have this process down to about 15 seconds

10. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

I change out the front caster spacers using my trailer ramp as a lift, drive up and hang one caster over the edge, change it, back down the ramp and repeat for the other side...takes less than 30 secs. and that is the only way i have ever or will ever change the height on my WB