1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

WB versus ZERO?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by CROCODILE, Oct 30, 2006.

CROCODILE LawnSite Member

Can someone tell me the advantages to getting a walk behind as opposed to a zero. I am looking to buy a cub cadet z wing 48", in the spring.

2. Budget

Budget LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa.

Walk behind is good for tight areas and hills, i do have a zero but will buy a walk behind this winter.
    If you don't have the work for a zero (wide open areas some small hills) save your money and get a decent walk behind, trimmer, and blower.

I got a good deal on my zero so i snatched it up, but could of gotten away with a walk behind on most of my propertys.

Good luck.
  3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

walks dont rut like riders
  4. Mow"N"Bud

Mow"N"Bud LawnSite Member

After all my years of experiance, if I had to start over tomorrow. I would start over with a Quick 36 Samauri, and good quality 2 cycle trimmer, edger, blower and hedge trimmer in a small pick up truck with a loading ramp, and not even use a trailer. I have seen a few set ups like I have described here. It's not a hugh investment, and although I don't own a Quick, I am planning on adding one to the stable. As a coincidence I bought a used S-10 today, and plan on letting 2 of my guys cutting all the small residential lawns next season. I have ran the numbers and it is a win win situation for me. Maybe it will be for you. I have some big walk behinds that we use on1/2 - 1 full acre and the ZTR's get used on everything 1 acre and up. Good luck
  5. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

In most cases...not all...

(1) Costs less to purchase
    (2) Costs less to maintain
    (3) Costs less to repair
    (4) Holds a hill better
    (5) Easier to perform the maintenance on
    (6) Requires less space on the trailer
  6. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

It's also easier to duck under tree branches, move around obstacles with the WB.

I'll agree with John about the rutting issue - I don't know about some of the lighter ZTRs, but here in town I see one LCO cutting tiny properties with a 61" Ferris/Cat Diesel. Those things are heavy as hell, and you can plainly see the ruts every time they mow, especially if the ground is wet/soft from rain.
  7. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Also ---- when you need to turn alot thats where you lose on the rider, you will turf tare with the rider if you turn to fast.