wB Vs. mower-front AERATOR?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by hobbsd, Feb 28, 2006.

1. hobbsd

hobbsd LawnSite Senior Member
    from west wi

What is the difference in aeration quality between a wb aerator and a aerator that mounts on the front of a ZTR.

Help would be appreciated.

M RASCOE&SONS LawnSite Bronze Member

i have looked at the jrco aerator that mounts on the front of the ztr and it says it will do 66000 sq ft per hour at 5 mph ,it looks real nice and the tines swivel so you can make turns with it down ..i have used the bluebird and ryan walkbehind aerators but they are walkbehinds so they are gonna be slower and the quality was good with the walkbehinds .goodluck
  3. turfcobob

turfcobob LawnSite Senior Member

Caution when looking at aerators. If the machine only makes a hole in the ground and does not pull a core it is very short term. Good quality aeration requires removal of a plug or core of soil so the hole takes some time to close up. You poke a hole in the ground water it and it goes away like right now. All you are doing is compacting the soil to the side and bottom and water expands it back out....hole gone. This type aeration was devised for golf courses especially greens that take high traffic but they still need some air without cores. It is called spiking and is very short term. There are a lot of good coring aerators out there that do a good job.
  4. hobbsd

hobbsd LawnSite Senior Member
    from west wi

has anyone used the JRCO hooker or tracvac ZTR aerator?? seems like it would be a good way to go, but i'm not sure.
  5. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I have a JRCO hooker and don't use it for areating. I rent a PLUGGER unit. Get something that pulls a "true" plug in good grass.
  6. robertsturf

robertsturf LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought a Trac Vac front mount aerator last year. Great investment for large areas . Very fast pulls good cores in damp soil. The only improvement I would recommend is that the tines should move independently of each other. It would make it a little easier to turn gradually.
  7. MDLawnman

MDLawnman LawnSite Member

i used a walk behind aerator for the first time last year. I'm pretty sure it was a Bluebird. The unit worked flawlessly - and nearly beat me to death! They are heavy and hard to turn. I was out of breath when the job was done. Find one that you drag or push with your riding mower!
  8. Turfco Tim

Turfco Tim LawnSite Member

Turfco makes a steerable walk-behind. You simply squeeze a brake trigger to turn the machine. No more lifting and muscling the machine around every turn. If you can walk behind a mower you can use a TurnAer.
    Call us at 1-800-679-8201.
  9. amar

amar LawnSite Member

I have a Bluebird 26" aerator. (FOR SALE)

About 30-40 lawns done with it. If you use it often you will be built like a truck.
    No one on my crew will touch it. I kicks your butt every time you use it. Im turning down to many aerations so im looking at a Turfco or a Track Vac. I saw the Track Vac at the MDLA show it lifts kind of slow but your on the rider. Not being able to turn with the tines down is a draw back.
  10. robertsturf

robertsturf LawnSite Bronze Member

My 48" Trac vac rocks. Saves major on my back.