WB Vs. Stander?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by qualitylawnmanagement, Feb 27, 2007.

1. qualitylawnmanagement

qualitylawnmanagement LawnSite Bronze Member

I plan to get either a 48in hydro walk-behind or a RH48in stander. I have a 12 apartment complexes signed up for this year and the 60in riders are tearing up turf when you get into tight areas. Also I have a large property that has two houses on it, now the right side is perfect for one of the dixies but the left side of the property is all sodded and the grass tears up to easily with the dixies. So which would you guys go for? I will be doing around 12+ apartment complexes, around 35 homes alone with this mower a week. Also which would have the less amount of turf damage? And which would less tear up the grass when it turns around? And can you get a an OCDC for a stander? Also are the standers that hard to learn to control, and operate it right?

2. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

Standers are easy to learn and are more efficent then a WB. Pricewise you will pay more though but it will pay itself off in the long run.

WBs IMO will do less damage though but as long as you know how to operate any piece of equipment properly then you wont have a problem.

3. qualitylawnmanagement

qualitylawnmanagement LawnSite Bronze Member

Yea they would be more productive, but the stander will be new to me and my guys. I won't be the one who will be running it all the time, so as I learn to use it so will my guys but my guys already know who to use the walk-behind.

4. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

Standers are really the wave of the future. Here in KC almost every company has one. They are easy to learn to. It took me maybe 2 or 3 days to get used to it and get it down to where I was using it efficiently. I think you would be happier with them.

5. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

If I had the money for a stander, I would have bought one. Where I used to work, we had 2 52" standers. I loved using them. Took me 3 days to get it down pat. After awhile, I could just roll along and cut nice, straight lines using one hand. I love them due to they are small like a wb, but a heck of alot faster. You will find to become wayy more productive, imo, with the stander

6. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

Demo a 52" Wright Stander

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We got a stander and like it but I wouldn't get it for the crews....they can do just fine with a hydro WB and cost a lot less. Stander is a llittle tricky to learn to keep from tearing up turf.

8. Mow"N"Bud

Mow"N"Bud LawnSite Member

Maybe I'm just old school, but for me a Hydro Walk-Behind is the only way to go for residential properties. The reason I say this is, I demoed a stander mower, and it is a great piece of equipment until you try and mow under low hanging trees, and on steep banks or hills. As far as standers being more productive IMO I just don't believe it. My Snappers are pretty quick and very, very agile in tight areas. Whatever you do good luck.

9. teamgreendude

teamgreendude LawnSite Senior Member

go with the stander i love all 8 of my 52in ones best ones out there

10. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

The stander mowers are way more effecient than wb's in my experience. You can get a 48 or a 52 and easily mow smaller properties up to acreages. They are really versatile. Worth every penny.