WB vs ZTR capabilities /limitations, constructive input please..

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dobehap, Feb 11, 2004.

1. dobehap

dobehap LawnSite Senior Member

WB vs ZTR capabilities /limitations.

I'd like to keep this preatty general, we know each machine is capable of extremes (going

faster, slower, more power, better/worse cut... etc etc)

This is strictly design type comparison, of say two alike machines

For instance the WB candidate -Turf Tracer 60inch , 23hp (w/ bullrider)
    VS
    the ZTR candidate Lazer Z 60inch 27hp.

I will Start the list.

WB
    Pluses:

Cheaper than a ZTR.
    Handles slopes better than a ZTR.
    (Lighter) Handles Wet conditions better than a ZTR -less rutting and tearing of

grass.
    Outfront- better trim ability than ZTR
    Better visibility than a ZTR.
    Less chance of an injury in an emergency (easier to get off).
    Takes less space on the trailer.
    Bias: less fatigue than a ztr (me-backproblems), I use a bull-rider.
    Overall better for health and no belly :D (I guess this one is biased too)

ZTR:
    Pluses: Faster than a WB
    More Available Power than a WB
    Easy hight adjust than a WB
    Added weight over a WB- Ability to use Gator-Rator.
    Superb clip/leaf Collection -IMO- the biggest benefit over a WB.
    Bias: less fatigue than a wb for those that DONT have a Bull-rider and dont have back problems :D

I want to see additional capabilities/limitations of both machines.

Reason for this post- so everyone including myself (Knowing the properties we service) will be able to avaluate what mower capabilities we need, and the limitations we are willing to
    accept - to better determine how to be more efficient with the right purchase decision.

2. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

I can't add much to this so I will make it short. I had a couple 54" belt drive walk behinds for several years and finally purchased a 52" lazer hp thinking that I would still need the wb on the properties with steep hills. Turned out that I haven't used the wb once and I have only turned down one new job because I didn't feel like dragging out the wb just for that lawn. I found with the ztr that I could actually go up and down steeper hills than the wb but the wb could traverse the hills laterally much better than the ztr. But at the end of the day the biggest benefit was the speed and the energy I had left at the end of the day.

3. dobehap

I'm not sure about your reply, but physics cant be changed. WB have lower center of gravity, therefore they WILL go on a steeper hill.

4. scott's turf

from NH

Keep in mind I said I had a belt drive. Going up very steep hills the mower would not be able to pull me without slipping and down hills I would sometimes skid all the way to the bottom.

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Nope, I'm not getting involved in this one...

6. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

Good idea Rod. I think I'll do the same. At least the comparison is of similar machines, not a 36" belt to a 60" Z

7. scott's turf

from NH

If you don't want to add anything then why post at all? Just an innocent question. I am not rying to be rude.

8. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

Your right,I apoligize, but htis has been beat to death in several threads lately. with the same outcomes. ONe I know went o very long and got very heated and I thnk was finaly closed. "opinions are like...." well you know.

My opinion is that a walkbehind/sulky can do anyhting a Z of the same size can do and more.

9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I guess I kind of said what I did right in the beginning cause I didn't want to get "invited in"...Paul and some others know what I mean. Please understand this has nothing to do with you and the additional knowledge you are looking for.

And no, you are certainly not being rude in any way and I apologize as well...

10. dobehap

You guys dont get it, I'm not looking for a heated conversations, I just want to see the things that I missed when using a WB as a tool, and when using a ZTR as a tool.

For instance like I posted above, a WB can NOT run a gator-rator, that a WB limitation. What are some other things can a ZTR do (maybee some other attachments/ maybee something else) that a WB cannot do, and vice versa.

I have just thought of another one, A WB can be man handled on the trailer, moved a little, a ZTR cant.
    Well, and a ZTR doesnt need to be tied down on a trailer, its heavy and wont move anywhere, where a WB will be moved more easily.

I'm not looking for defense of either or, just put up some facts.
    Thank you.