1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

WB Water in tires

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by j_loppy, Sep 11, 2004.

1. j_loppy

j_loppy LawnSite Member

A friend of mine bought a kit to put water in the drive tires of his Exmark walk behind. I was thinking of doing the same thing with my Gravely, because there is not enough weight on the rear tires (it slides all the time when trying to make a turn).

Any of ya'll do this? Just wondering...
  2. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

You had better use some anti-freeze mix in them if you do decide to do it. A tire with a block of ice in it does not roll well at all. I have heard that the pink type of anti-freeze used in RV water systems is better for tires than the green type used in cooling system but do not know for sure.
  3. j_loppy

j_loppy LawnSite Member

Yeah, you know us farm boys say water filled, but we understand it gets cold too.

Thanks for the RV antifreeze idea. I wondered if the automotve type would be hard on rubber not designed for ethylene glycol.
  4. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

j_lop...don't take this as an insult but it seems you need to learn how to make a turn.

when I demoed my lesco--I thought I was doing great.

and then the owner informed me that I was fired because I tore up the turf while making turns.

he then showed me how to make turns properly.

I suggest the force of gravity is great enough in your situation, you simply have a case of operator error.

5. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I'd have to disagree with you there. Even the big heavy ZTR's will do this when cocked up certain ways. The tire will slide or drag before it will roll even in neutral. Sometimes the tire in neutral will even side drag in a diagonal direction.

The fluid may help some with this. But I be not a lot. The tires will probably just not enough fluid weight to make much difference. Keep us posted though j loopy......
  6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I honestly think that all you'll end up with is deeper skid marks. I'm with Geo on this one. I think getting to the root of the problem, and getting the technique practiced and perfected will go alot farther than weighing down the drive tires.
  7. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

Get someone to teach you how to operate the mower.

If the mower needed more weight to turn, the manufacturer would add weight to the machine.

8. j_loppy

j_loppy LawnSite Member

I've only been using walk behinds for about six years, and this unit is the only one I've ever had problems with. And no, I don't take it as an insult when it's said I need to operate the mower correctly. However, the mower is just not balanced that well. The deck is just way too heavy, which throws off the center of gravity. The thing works great when the tank is full of fuel, but I can't always keep it full.

Keep the ideas coming , though.

9. BW4486

BW4486 LawnSite Member

Its a good idea for big tractor tires and stuff but I dont think that 5 pound will really help that much
  10. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

What is the tire pressure?