WB woes on steep hill

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by IAFFbuckeye, Jun 15, 2009.

1. IAFFbuckeye

IAFFbuckeye LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Hey all new to using WB in general and have a few questions. I have a pretty steep front yard which is very large. I bought a Scag 36 WB and have been mowing it mostly side to side. I have noticed when the right side is facing the top of hill I am battling to keep it straight and having wheel slippage at times. But going back the other way its a breeze. Not sure if that makes sense, but I have to crank down on the right pistol grip when the right side is high just to keep her straight. But when left wheel is high I barely have to touch the pull grip and there is no wheel slippage. Is it due to the weight of the machine being heavier on one side or is it as simple as having to tighten some belt. It has me really stratching my head. Hopefully someone can point in the right direction :dizzy:

2. hitechlm

hitechlm LawnSite Senior Member

is it a dual hydro, or a single hydro. If its dual check the hydro fluid for the side that seems to give you trouble.

3. IAFFbuckeye

from Ohio

Its not a hydro its a belt drive, sorry should have mentioned that.

4. hitechlm

hitechlm LawnSite Senior Member

im not familiar with belt drives, but you might have a worn or stretched belt. Im probably
    wrong though,

5. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

your brake could be looser on that one side??:confused::confused:

6. kaferhaus

kaferhaus LawnSite Bronze Member

The discharge chute is on that side, all the rotating mass and airflow is pushing the mower left. On a steep hill it takes very little "thrust" to put the mower off balance.

7. IAFFbuckeye

from Ohio

Thanks guys for the replies, that makes sense with the chute and airflow making it off balance to the one side, guess I will just have to work around it then.

8. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

that's a good one. :D I think it's the longer left front caster arm that causes the issue. It's the only thing that is not equal from side to side. The air flow coming from the discharge is not going to push the mower up hill.

9. kaferhaus

kaferhaus LawnSite Bronze Member

It's not pusing it up hill, Greg. It's pushing down hill when it's already at it's "balance point". I had one that did the same thing when you got it on a steep enough hill. Chute down it tracked fine, chute up and it lost grip.

10. david shumaker

david shumaker LawnSite Senior Member

My 36" belt drive Exmark does the same thing.