1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

WBH suggestions for homeowner

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by sirwally, Mar 30, 2004.

1. sirwally

sirwally LawnSite Member

I'm a homeowner looking for a 32'' or 36'' walk behind mower. My lot is about .75 acre and I'm primarily looking for something that will save me time and deliver a nice mulch cut. I want a mower that will last and while cost isn't a big concern I don't want to buy more than I need.

Which brands should I consider? Cub Cadet? Toro? Billy Goat?

Should I consider purchasing a used walk behind? A neighbor (who's tired of cutting the grass) has offered to sell me his two year old MTD 1332 Bandit.

Thanks for your feedback.
  2. clcare

clcare LawnSite Member

pass on the MTD if you are looking for a walk behind check out Exmark ECS, or Toro T-handle.
  3. dwost

dwost LawnSite Bronze Member

4. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

Check out the new sponsor, http://www.betteroutdoorproducts.com/

Very reasonably priced, it seems. Anyone ever try out their machines?
    How much does your neighbor want for his used MTD? I would guess that the warranty has run out, expect repair bills soon.
  5. MrFikit

MrFikit LawnSite Member

You could consider purchasing a Cub Cadet Commercial or a Lesco. Cub Commercial does not make a 32" Gear but they make a 36" which is a fine machine. Contrary to popular belief, Lesco does not make MTD (cub) but it is the other way around. MTD has a faciltity separate from the rest of MTD and built by people who strickly make commercial mowing equipment not the other box store stuff. Anyway, buy what feels good to you at the cost you are willing to pay, but at least look at some of the other brands that are in your area.
  6. I was in the same situation as you until this week. I shopped around, did some studying and chose a eXmark metro. I believe it offers a superior value. There certainly is cheaper on the market, but I believe the "get what you pay for" concept was thought of for the mower market.

While I haven't used the Metro enough to test it's durability, I have not been disappointed with my purchase yet.

P Warren
  7. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

Look at the metro. For mulching can't think of a mower that has a better cut. If you are only going to use it on your property, with proper care should last you a life time.
  8. BuD Dog

BuD Dog LawnSite Member
    from IN

Hey sirwally -

I was in the same situation as you, .75 acre, homeowner, only use the machine a couple of hours a week. Last fall, I was ready to spend the $2500-2600 on a 36 inch commercial walk behind. Then this spring, I saw the 33 inch Billy Goat. I looked around and decided this was the solution for me. I purchased mine a few weeks ago and this past weekend ran it a couple of times for the first time. I also got the mulch kit installed. So far it has started easily, easy to run, has plenty of power and the first cut looked alot better than the rider I was using. I realize it isnt a Scag or Exmark etc..., but there is alot I can do with the extra $1,000 and I feel I will get a better cut in less time than with the equipment I had before. If you have a good dealer near you that handles Billy Goat, I would suggest it. It turns easily (not quite zero turn but pretty close). I found most of the bigger dealers in my area of Indianapolis were starting to carry the Billy Goat this year. If I was using a mower 8 hours a day, I would spend the extra money but I think you will be happy with a BG as a homeowner like me.