1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

WB's are better than Riders????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Husky, Sep 28, 2003.

1. Husky

Husky LawnSite Member

You guys know I've never even taken a spin on a WB I'm ZRider all the way. but i have been thinking about adding them to my arsenal.

I just want to know from the experienced LCO's what they think about the WB's vs the Riders.

I know that on my riders I am tearing the turf here and there, and more so when its wet. Will a WB end this problem. And are WB better on Hills and slops than the riders,,,remember just your eperience...

Fill me in,,,its an investment, and I would like to keep damage to turf areas to a minimum. or maybe I just need to slow down, I consider myself an expert on these riders, but, well, i guess if im causing damage, i need to slow down, or get better.........................but i want speed...thats where profit sleeps, and i wish to wake him up!!!!

What do you think?!?
  2. mike9497

mike9497 LawnSite Senior Member

wbs are good for small yards and hills.the Zs are good for everything else
  3. T.E.

T.E. LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know Husky if they are better. I've been considering just using my Z rider. I have lawns that are small and no matter how I go about it they look so much better when I use the rider than the wb. The only thing I can come up with is maybe the way the weight is with the wb vs. the rider,(maybe its not as evenly proportioned) because when I use the wb it leaves tire tracks or should I say ruts!,and when the rider is used can't tell a machine has been on the lawn hardly. :confused:
  4. J.Gordon

J.Gordon LawnSite Senior Member

The answer is yes and no I have a 25/54 Super walk behind with a Bullrider and wouldn’t want to be without it. It’s awesome on hills and if you happened to get in trouble you can always bail off. You can still tear up grass if your Doing zero turns to fast. My machine will go 8-10 mph. I have not yet been able to go full speed on the properties that I mow. Same size units I would just as soon have a W/B Because it doesn’t hurt my back as much after hours on rough ground.
    But the rider kicks the W/B’s butt when it comes to bagging and leaf removal. (IMO)
    For me both units are a must have. I hope this helps.
  5. Tbarchaser

Tbarchaser LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

I have two walk behinds that I stopped using. I replaced them with a wright stander. Its a goat on the steep grades I can turn around in places a 21" trim mower cant!
    So .....Walkbehinds in my opinion are for start ups...and you replace them when you discover standers.
  6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I feel that WB's depends on the terrain, the operators, the budget, and the customers.
    To some the WB's will work great for, while others they won't. Like us for instance, use nothing but WB's. They are less on the budget, the properties that we mow mostly only allow for WB use, and customers don't like the riders on their properties.
    But like I said, it just depends
  7. Husky

Husky LawnSite Member

thats interesting,

i never even thought of a stander....ummmm

difficult to use???
  8. TRex

TRex LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW ,TX

The stander was the first commercial mower I ever tried. It took me about 5 min. to get the hang out and after that it was a breeze, but like he said I ended up buying a belt drive Exmark with the floating deck and now I don't know how I would have done with out the ease of changing the deck height. The stander has a fixed deck but on the othe hand the sentar is a rider and a stander and it has a floating deck. I can't wait till I need a new mower. and I did tear the turf when I first got my w/b I practiced on my yard for hours(poor lawn is still tring to fill in). But I have not torn any turf other than spinning tires in wet grass. w/b are easy to manhandle if needed.
  9. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I've used my scag 48 WB for 7 years before buying my ZTR. I still use the WB on small properties and hilly terrain. The WB has its place and has proved to be very useful when a ZTR would be too dangerous or too big to operate. However, the ZTR can't be matched for speed and efficiency on large flat terrain.
    As far as turf damage from the tires is concerned, the WB can still tear up turf if you don't keep the drive wheels turning when you turn.
  10. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

We actually use our 36" wb more now than we ever did. It basically takes the place of a push mower, and is "emergency back-up" if one of the bigger machines breaks down. Usually one guy takes off on the ZTR, and the other guy uses the 36" for a couple spots and then starts trimming.

You might want to think about getting a 36" or 32" (even better for getting through gates) wb.