WB's or ZTR's for quality of cut

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by eclipselawn, Jun 3, 2004.

1. eclipselawn

eclipselawn LawnSite Member

I have a 36 in. Walker and have in the past had a 36 in. toro WB. I seem to remember the Toro giving a better qualiyt of cut and have not been completely satisfied with the walker.

My question is, does a WB give a better cut or does a ZTR. I do not want to hear about all the other bs about how a Z is better than a WB. Only answer about the quality of the cut please.

2. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

i like my scag walkbehind over my ztr

3. Top Notch

Top Notch LawnSite Member

My Scag Z cuts nicer than my Scag walk behind.

I'm talking about quality of cut, not typical ZTR rah-rah about productivity.

4. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

well i think my problem is i go to fast with my z

5. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

It obviously varies from model to model, deck size to deck size, and brand to brand, and even by grass types.

I cut my somewhat tall St. Augustine front yard yesterday with a 44" toro wb. Looked good, even striped decently, but did leave about half a dozen strays for whatever reason. For some reason my 32" exmark deck equipped wb has been doing the same. Very few, but more than the ZTR leaves.

I cut the back with the Exmark ZTR. Even cutting a tougher grass, Bahia at about 8mph vs. 4mph walking behind the Toro, it looked great and no stringers. So the ZTR won this round.

On really wet ground, maybe a different story. But I was just marveling at how much easier the job was and how much faster I got done with the ZTR.

I would say the best productivity vs. cut quality compromise would happen on a compact ZTR with wide tires, being careful to watch your speed and turn carefully.

6. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Riders have big front tires that MAT the grass down. Walks have smaller front tires and a lot less weight.
    John

7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Some people call those stripes. Just see the latest stripe pic thread for excellant examples. ;)

My 60" Dixie lays a better cut than my 36" Exmark. The Dixie cut just seems smoother and more uniform.

8. onelegjohn

onelegjohn LawnSite Member

My Scag SWZ walk behind cuts better than my Tiger Cub - same 48" advantage deck. Go figure.... I wonder why. Anyone know?

9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I'll take the look left from a WB any day over a Z...and I have several of each.

10. growinandmowin

growinandmowin LawnSite Member

My Bobcat 48 wb cuts waaaaaaaaaaaay nicer than my ferris 61 ztr.