WBs vs ZTRs

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Joel B., Jul 19, 2002.

1. Joel B.

Joel B. LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

A lot of you recommended a walk behind in one of my earlier posts. What are the advantages of a WB over a ZTR? The only ones I can think of are price and more excercise (which could be good or bad). Is a WB more maneuverable than a ZTR?

Thanks as always,

Joel B.

2. Cut 2 Please

Cut 2 Please LawnSite Member

Walk behinds are more manuverable in tight places. The outfront deck allows you to get up under low limbs etc. They are also lighter and do not tend to compact the soil nearly as bad. A WB holds on hills extremely well also. They are also cheaper to purchase. The downsides are: you either have to stand or walk behind one, and they generally tend to be slower. The Hustler from what I read seems to be the exception to the rule. The specs say and I have read peoples posts that say it will do 10mph. If this is true and you don't mind standing it seems you could have the best of both machines in one. If you are starting out I would hightly recomend a WB over a "Z" because I feel you will be less limited. Demo everything you can though before you buy. That way you know in the end you bought the best. There is nothing worse than shelling out big money and then thinking you made the wrong choice.

3. Ax Man

Ax Man LawnSite Senior Member

Price is a good place to start.
    With a hydro walkbehind you can do very steep hills (if you can walk on it) reach under trees and other obstacles that can't be done with a ztr.
    Also they are easier to handle going down hill. Test a ztr going downhill some time for a luge run. Just make sure you have some run out first.
    After operating either type of machine, you will find the best way to approach diffrent types of terrain, and which ever you choose will put lots of money in your pockets.
    The downfall of the walkbehind is the walking.
    If you have smaller properties and can handle walking all day, then it's the machine for you.
    If there is available hp. stick a sulky on the back and save some energy for the family.
    Good luck!

4. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I feel if you can afford it, have both a w/b and z. That way you can take on more of a variety of properties. Just my opnion. I guess if I could only have one or the other, it would be the w/b. I would be lost without mine.

5. Jon99

Jon99 LawnSite Senior Member

Well I just bought my first mower and I bought a 48" Scag Tiger Cub for LESS money than a Scag 52" WB would have been... Now I plan on finding a used 36" Scag WB to compliment the ZTR...

While a ZTR will limit me on the small jobs, buying a WB only would have limited me on the big jobs...