WD-40 causing problems..

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by fastpine, Sep 24, 2010.

1. fastpine

fastpine LawnSite Member

..We have been using wd-40 on the hedge trimmer blades to keep them clean and running smooth.

I just had a customer call saying his Junipers we trimed had quite a fiew brown spots on them and it looked like an oil or gas stain( im pretty sure it was the wd-40). This was a high paying job with one of my best customers, I have got to find a way to make this right..

What would be the best course of action?

What should I tell the homeowner?

Should I discontinue the use of wd-40?

Thank you for any responses:waving:

2. StihlMechanic

StihlMechanic LawnSite Bronze Member

Use stihl hedge trimmer antiresin spray

3. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

How about using Pam or a dry lubricant. I have always used whatever I have laying around, motor oil, gear oil, WD-40, spit...

4. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

Fluid Film!

5. 1993lx172

1993lx172 LawnSite Bronze Member

X2 Fluid Film rocks!

6. StihlMechanic

StihlMechanic LawnSite Bronze Member

thats actually some good stuff, suprised.

7. 44DCNF

I wasn't aware stihl had a product, but I imagine it works equally well also.

8. 44DCNF

As for a recovery action, I'd be inclined to spray the hedge or shrubs with some seaweed extract. If possible a light trim again to remove some of the staining or dieoff may help. If no room for that then maybe just the seaweed and and a little extra attention over the next few weeks.

If it was during extreme heat or dry period, that may also have contributed to it and it might help to tell the customer that.

I would switch from WD-40 to a safer product. Running the trimmer at high speed before actually trimming to throw off any excess lube might also help. I have not noticed a problem with FF when it gets on grass from a mower unless it is right after a heavy application upon start up of the blades. I have seen once or twice, that area has been prone to rust (the grass disease rust) before others. My thinking on that too, was that it was more a result of suffocation during high heat and drought rather than a result of the product itself. It is generally claimed to be very safe for plants.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
  9. integrityman

integrityman LawnSite Bronze Member

pam, olive oil, Ive used a variety of aerosol food oil sprays with no problems. I find vegie oil has great staying power though...

10. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Glad the pam was tried by you and seems to work...the nice thing is its cheap.
    Posted via Mobile Device