WD-40 for hedge trimmers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HighGrass, Jul 29, 2006.

1. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

I have to new Echo Hedge trimmer units and would like to oil the blades when I'm done cutting. Anybody use WD-40 to coat them?

2. ThirdDay

ThirdDay LawnSite Senior Member

WD-40 should work just fine.

Any penetrating oil works great.

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I bought my hedge trimmers about 4 odd years ago, and everytime I am done using them, I spray them lightly with... You guessed it: Wd-40.

In all that time, I have never had a problem and have never had to sharpen them... That is to say, I look at people like they are crazy when they talk about sharpening hedge trimmers.

To make this economical, I purchase wd-40 in the gallon can, it's not cheap (about $15 / gallon) but then I fill up a (recycled) empty window cleaner bottle with it, and stick it in my truck... And, it's way cheaper than spray cans.

Other applications I have found is to always spray steel-based equipment with a light cover anytime it is going to sit for some time... So the mowers get it in the winter, the pushblower in the summer, and I just covered a spare velke in it as well. Helps keep it looking new.

I am currently considering switching to used motor oil for the above applications, but the lack of the wd-40's properties holds me back.

4. wmsland

wmsland LawnSite Member
    from NE OHIO

I have started using Pam spray cooking oil on my dealers advice. The residue causes less damage to the shrubs.

5. hillndale

hillndale LawnSite Member
    from Maine

I just bought a Tanaka 210S Hedge Trimmer & the dealer said WD 40. Some folks worry about damage to shrubs & the dealer said he heard of using "baby oil" as an alternative.

hillndale:headphones:

6. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

who cares about the shrubs! the best thing (and what little wonder recommends ) is 50-50 oil and kerosine. no buildup ever with this mix and blade weare is all but eliminated.

7. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

How about Fluid Film?

I got one of their freebie spray cans and the stuff works pretty good.
    It's thicker than WD40, and seems to provide alot more lubrication, but that might stick to the shrubs too much.
    Cant seem to hardly powerwash the stuff off - it sticks real well.

8. Armadillolawncare

Armadillolawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I also pack a can of PAM cooking spray with my hedge trimmers.

9. above all

above all LawnSite Member

Hey Highgrass, Armadillolawncare might be on to something. I got The free can of Fluid Flim and loved it. Reading up on the stuff, i found out that it is a Food Grade" product and yea know it kind of smells alittle like Pan spray. Now i dont know what Pan cost, but a gallon of FF cost me about 35.00 but the stuff does work. II'm now using it: after sharping my mowing blades, hedge trimmer blades, under mulching decks and the complete Grass Handling System of my Walker T. I find things are Much Cleaner. So ask for you free can of Fluid Film . WD might clean your stuff but it does not protect it for long, and oil only stays on a little longer I'zz think.

10. mark lagasse

mark lagasse LawnSite Member

Fluid Film all the way.