WD 40 under deck....I'm surprised but it works

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GarPA, Sep 16, 2003.

1. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

THis weekend I gave the mowers a bath and then realized I was out of MoDeck. (stuff works just ok...it does make scraping the deck much easier)...so I say what the heck and heavily sprayed the mower decks with WD 40. Well to my surprise yesterday, after 5 machine hours of mowing in dew and long grass, there was very little build up....what a nice surprise...I'll see how it goes today ...just thought I'd pass this on as I didn't think wd40 had a snowballs chance of working, even a little bit, to prevent buildup...

2. I thought it was kind of pricy and didn't work all that well. It didn't leave enough residue.
    I now use mineral spirits with some used motor oil dumped into it. I spray it on with a little 2 gallon hand sprayer.
    When I started the decks had a lot of rusty scale. Now every time I scrape and oil them they look shinnier. They're easier to scrape too. No more scale at all.
    I've never tried Mo-deck or anything like that. All my decks together come up to over 32' of mowing width. So I wanted something cheaper. Now I can treat them all for about $1.

Dave

3. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

So, you have a 21" and an 11" mower?? Two 16" mowers? I'm lost.

4. GLAN

GLAN Banned

hehe............Elephant the ' indicates feet while the " indicates inches......;)

Nice idea with the spirits and used oil. Recycling is a good thing..:)
    You do that daily?

5. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

I'll try that Dave...where do you locate your mower when you're spraying this slimy muck?? I guess newspapers under it might work?? I cant jack my mower up with the Juingle jack on stones because it wont roll under the mower unless the surface is smooth

6. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

DOH!:blush: << Sharp as a marble.

7. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

Try the MEG MO blades and you wont have to worry about those jobs of cleaning decks.

8. SUGAR_CUT_MARK

SUGAR_CUT_MARK LawnSite Member

i'd like to try the meg mo blades. where in michigan do they sell them. do u have a money back guarantee?? can i return them if i dont like them

9. galagers

galagers LawnSite Member

Meg-Mo do you have a set for the troy-built 33" wide cut? and where can you buy them?

10. Red Dwarf

Red Dwarf LawnSite Member

Waaaaaaiiit a minute...........how are they going to keep you from having to keep your deck clean? :confused:

Explain to me how will your blades keep wet St. Augustine grass from sticking to the underside of my deck without using any kind of spray....And I'd like a real technical explanation please, not just another post where you say they are great...........