1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

WD-4O, 10 Weight Oil?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Landscape25, Jan 2, 2006.

1. Landscape25

Landscape25 LawnSite Member
    from Florida

I was reading the maintenance guide for my hedge trimmer and it says to put a ten weight oil on the blade. The guy at the dealer told me to use wd-40 is that 10 weight? I don't think its 40 weight although that might make more sense.
  2. P & L Turf

P & L Turf LawnSite Senior Member

It may depend on how much your using it. Maybe?:confused: Alls I can think, is that 10 weight oil may attract some heavy dirt and other unwanted materials to stick to the blades and cause some problems.
  3. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, WD-40 does not imply 40 weight. WD stands for "water displacing" and the 40 refers to the fact that the scientists who invented it finally got the mixture right on the 40th try.

I can see where it might be good for use on hedge trimmers as both a lubricant and a solvent since some greenery is kind of sappy, and makes the blades stick together.

Although depending on how much you use, I wouldn't imagine it to be good for plants - but I guess that depends on the toleration of the plant.

Just a thought - I've heard of people using diesel fuel as a cleaner/lube since it is part lubricant.
  4. Landscape25

Landscape25 LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Okay, thanks.
  5. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

I use wd-40 on my hedge trimmer. my manual says "light machine oil, such as wd-40". but that is shindaiwa. I would just use wd-40.
  6. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Talk about a substance that isn't good for plants.....:dizzy:

We use WD-40 on all of our hedge trimmers to prevent gum up during use and have never had a problem with gum up or plant problems from the WD-40.
  7. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

And you think WD-40 is "safer" than diesel fuel? On a scale of stuff that's toxic to plants I'd bet both rate at about the same number...

WD-40 does work fine on hedge clipper blades. Lubes them plus prevents rust. Iv'e actually seen talk where some say it's BAD to use toxic chemicals like those on your clippers because it can kill the plants or cause burns on the cuts and so forth... Maybe so, I have never seen it happen personally, but maybe I just don't pay that close of attention down to the microscopic level. Maybe just avoid cutting the $10G topiary first if you worry about that sort of thing. lol!

Iv'e seen a can of "hedge clipper lube" before that said "non-toxic" on the label. I think it was put out by Sthil.

3 in 1 oil is probably close to the 10 weight.
  8. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

NO, I don't think, I know damn well that it is safer. As a matter of fact many professional arborist recommend spraying WD-40 directly on the plant for protecting Hibiscus plants from certain insects and dieases.
  9. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

WD-40 can be ingested...safely. Therefore I'm willing to guess its perfectly fine for plants. I've used it for years also and never had a problem.

Theres that huge list of things wd40 is good for. On the list it says you can ingest it, says theres nothing toxic in it that will hurt you. People used to take it thinking it would cure illness....maybe they used it as a laxative? :D
  10. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Echo manual recommends a 50/50 solution of 20W & kerosene. Never tried it but now that I see this thread it reminds me about asking my small equipment dealer about this.