we all have minimums right?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 1MajorTom, Apr 22, 2006.

1. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Ok, here is the scenerio. You have 3 lawns on one street, each $30 for about 4,000 sq ft each. A lady approaches you, a neighbor of one of your customers, she would like an estimate. You go over and if you blink, you will miss lawn #1. She only wants weekly cutting, what you see in the picture is the ONLY grass she has. As you can see, there is no weed control, and there will be absolutely NO other extras. While talking to her, the lady behind her house comes over and says, "i just moved in, i'm looking for someone to cut my grass weekly too." If you blink you miss lawn #2, the lawn is also that small.

I've read on here minimums are roughly $30, some maybe $5 higher, a few may price theirs $5 lower than $30. Either way, let's say your minimum is $30.

1. do you quote both "lawns" for $30 each
    2. give a price break because there is no drive time, (what would you charge)
    3. never take those accounts, they look terrible, and even though you can sell ice to the eskimos you KNOW you will never get any extras from those accounts
    4. would have taken the accounts, but noticed that the only mower that will fit is a 21, and you aint touching a 21 inch mower.

Just throwing a topic for conversation around.

IMG_1875.JPG

2. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

15 min. work for $50 or even $40 aint bad with out drive time. I'd take them and sell them to some kid for $100 if I don't want to bother with a 21" mower

3. NEPSJay

NEPSJay LawnSite Senior Member

it all depends on what YOUR policies are, and whether or not you will STICK to them. if a $30.00 minimun is used, then it is just that, A MINIMUM. no discounts, no specials, no freebies. And yes, i would jump on them, its 3 in a row w/ no travel expense.

4. Scotts' Yard Care

Scotts' Yard Care LawnSite Senior Member

Love these lawns and around our area they're 10-12.50 a cut.:)

5. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

I don't suppose theres a gate between the yards.

6. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

yes both yards have gates, but only big enough for a 21.

7. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

So if there only willing to pay $25 a piece your min. which you imposed on your self wont let you mke $75 for 20- 30 mins work with no drive time? :dizzy:

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Sure... Number 4 is the kicker, my smallest deck is 48" wide but if this were not the issue (assume the fence has an opening wide enough), I would do this:

First, look at both the turf closely, you need to determine from the look of the lawn if they both would grow at about the same rate - This is very important because if one lawn is real rich and dark green while the other is a lighter turf then the growth rates may differ radically and you will not be able to cut them both at the same time. If, however, both yards are close in condition and shape then I would put it to the customers thusly:

IF I can come out and always cut both yards in the same visit, I will gladly do this for 50 dollars a visit. To make things simple, one of you pays me one time and the other pays me the next so it's one check per visit and it rotates for as long as this goes on. Should one of you move or no longer require my services, then the yard that is left will take on the regular cost of 30 dollars as of the first visit when I am no longer able to service both lots.

That has worked for me so far, thou I will warn you that every once in a bit you will get stuck with one of the lots at the discount rate for the rest of the year... Yes I know you explained it, but I'm just saying this so you know. Still, overall it's win-win because you get GOOD money (it hardly takes 30 minutes to do those two, maybe 40), they get a great rate and everybody is happy and the few times you get stuck with one out of the other due to circumstances, it all adds out in the wash.

But no, I don't have a mower with a deck smaller than 48" wide... Funny, one of the gated yards I took on requires me to remove one of the front casters so I can fit through the gate so it's not for lack of trying :)

9. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

Give them a brake it would take longer to load your trailer and go to the next lawn to make the extra 5 bucks and with the cost of gas i'd rather have my mowers move than my truck.

10. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i carry 2-9/16" wrenches for those fences. it takes about 1 minute (which i bill for) to take the 3 nuts off and slide the chain links over. you can easily get a 36" or 48" mower in. when you put the fence back together, only hand tighten two of the bolts, throw the third, across the street. i'd charge $22 each for these small properties.