We are all Lawn Nerds...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HOOLIE, Jul 11, 2004.

1. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

What is it that possesses us, after a long week of cutting grass, to sit up late on a Sat. nite and talk about cutting grass?

For me, its the anticipation of reading some humorous thread...that and the fact that I can drink beer while reading that thread...

2. wayupnorth

wayupnorth LawnSite Member

Hey Hoolie, I sit here half gooned up myself after a couple glasses of the nector of the Gods, with I might add my wife waiting for me downstairs for well you know what, and here I am looking for a post on what is better, a Ferris diesel or a Kubuta diesel, or a JD gas 777!! I am not a professional lawn care person but I found this forum some time ago and find it fascinating to read all that everyone has to say about cutting grass. We have a small resort in northern Wisconsin and I mow about ten acres with a Honda 5518 tractor with a 52 inch deck. There is a beauty and dignity in lawn work that I can only say puts you in a satisfied state of mind when you are all done. I`m starting to ramble but I will say I have made some of my best business decisions while I have been mowing on the Honda. Have a great night!!! Wayupnorth.

3. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Can't help ya with the choice of mowers- but at least YOUR wife is waiting up for you!

4. SouthernFried

SouthernFried LawnSite Senior Member

Well, I just found this forum...and it's been somewhat motivating for me.

Been doing this for 20 yrs. Seen my share of ups and downs. I gotta admit, I've been getting kinda burned out. Not sure if it's the work itself, or just old age creeping on...but, I've not been too motivated lately. After one of the worst business decision I ever made a coupla yrs back...I have not really cared as much.

Well, I finally had to break down and buy some stuff, do some repairs on old equipment, etc...and searching the web for prices and equipment, I happened on this forum. Been reading it for hours now...and, even after all these yrs, I'm learning new stuff. It's nice to listen to people who are still gung-ho as well. That, in itself, can get you going again. It's been a tonic.

Anyway, that's why I'm here...at 1 a.m. on a beautiful South Texas Night.

I hear a beer calling my name....

5. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Its good to see the new members here. The lawn nerd part is quite true.
    I know that it isn't only me that looks at stripe patterns in the lawns as I drive around town. It isn't only me who is amazed at the fertilizing errors that homeowners make with drop spreaders. It isn't only me who is constantly thinking about what equipment purchase will help me work smarter. All that is here and I am glad that there are lots of people like me that want to discuss it.

So welcome to all of you gents and to my neighbor wayupnorth, did the lakes thaw yet??

6. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I eat, drink and sleep this stuff. The only other thing I put as much energy into is, how can I get my bare hands around a terrorists throat. Yeah, I occasionally think about "IT", just as I'm getting a really good mental picture of Rachel Hunter in the hottub I hear a shriek in another room and the balloon bursts and I'm back to the stripes and terrorists. I dream of terrorists and gatorblades..........together.

7. wayupnorth

wayupnorth LawnSite Member

Mow Ed, lakes are thawed out about the end of April but I have seen them go as far as first week of May up here. Cabins are full with guests this week and the grounds need to be cut again, life goes on and it is good!!

8. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

SouthernFried, you sound exactly like I was. Over 20 years in the business, working for everyone, doing everything, I was burning out fast. Almost gave it up for good a few times. Then I started finding lawn forums on the net, and meeting some great people who were going through the same things that I was. It somehow brought comfort, and gave me a new, inspired view on things. I was only thinking small potatoes, week to week, still looking for another career subconsciously, maybe even overtly. But now I feel like the sky is the limit, I've grown substantially over the past two years, I have the equipment of my dreams, (almost), and still looking to expand.

So, yes, I'm a grass nerd, and proud of it.

[​IMG]

9. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Lawn nerd. How about landscape nerd. Thats is what I am becoming more and more. I seem to be doing more and more install jobs than grass cutting.

10. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

I preffer "Grass Geek". MY Wife, hates it when I zone out here.