We broke in a new girl today...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Brianslawn, Nov 22, 2005.

1. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

shouldve brought some lube cause she was hurtin by the end of the day.

Ron's in dallas for the week so Jeremy and me decided to give this 24 year old girl who recently called a try for the day. shes been unemployed for some time and never really did any real work before. she did better than past several women. lasted the whole 8 hrs on three leaf clean-ups totaling 7-8 acres that we did today. workin the blower all day, too. she said she'll probably be in bed before midnight, for once. every time she whined we just yelled at her and made her work harder... so she quit whining.

here's the question. in the past myself and several other on here have had a lot of success with female workers. the past couple years, though, it seems like finding a woman that can hang with the guys is becoming more and more difficult. why is this? is this just a regional thing or are women now lacking the motivation to out do the guys? this past year the women have been worse workers than all the lil boys.

we'll probably work this girl some more over the winter to see if she can handle full time next spring... otherwise we've given up on the locals for workers and got a fresh group of h2bs ordered for next year.

any thoughts anyone?

2. Mower For Less

Mower For Less LawnSite Senior Member

Is she cute?

3. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

Jeremy thought so. skinny blonde. not my type, though.

4. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Brian, my buddy's lot manager at the supply yard is a woman. She out works all the guys, and she actually wants to go and do field work rather than sell and load mulch, rocks, and sand all day. I have about given up on hiring any white guys next year as well. I think the reason some of the women may be lacking in endurance is for not really being welcomed into the green industry. If they have never done landscaping work, sometimes it's a bit more than they thought it would be, but with the right ones, pride can overwhelm them to the point of trying way too hard. I have had 2 women workers in the last five years, and both were more detail oriented than the guys.Plus, they smell alot better than the guys at the end of a hot day...LOL:D

5. garth1967

garth1967 LawnSite Senior Member

i prefer the women firstly they seem to listen, they are short on ego, they dont know everything like guys do and they are more organised than men this is only my experience of course

6. lawn_pro

lawn_pro LawnSite Senior Member

hired a girl once, she did great work but she just couldn't get the two cycle equipment started....someone always had to start the 21" every time she emptied the bag, just didn't work out.

7. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

I havent hired any women yet, but I am considering it for next year. It seems all the man help I can find are undependable, always looking for more money and less work, and everyone of them thinks they know it all. If I can find a woman that can lift 50lb bags of fert and mulch, and drive a truck, shes hired.

8. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

My mom, works with me sometimes on fall cleanups, that is just about exactly how it is!!!

9. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

If I was going to hire a "girl" I think I would look for the ones with mullets...if you know what I mean. I think they might fit in with the boys a bit better.

10. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

Brian,
    don't push too hard on the first week, Give her the time to build her stamina and she will run circles around the guys, I have seen it several times in irrigation where the girls were slow on the 1st week, then just kicked into high gear from there on.