We Could All Take Customer Service Lessons From This Business

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by MMLawn, May 25, 2006.

1. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

MAN! We should all take CS lessons from this business....and I am serious. No wonder they have made to where they are in the business world.

On TUESDAY night I decided that we need a couple new computers for the office. So I went on line to DELL's Business site and built what I wanted and upgraded many of the specs of the base unit. I also added the latest version of Quickbooks because my current version is a couple years old. I am in no rush for the units really so I opted for normal 3-5 business day UPS delivery because it is currently free which saved me $90 x2. I finished the order at 11:33 PM that evening. On WEDNESDAY afternoon about 4PM a Dell CS Rep called ME to make sure that we had in fact ordered the computers and to verify the shipping address to protect us against ID theft. I realize it also keeps them safe at Dell, but it still was a very good CS move on their part. I later received an email that said the order was being processed and that the expected Ship Date was 5/30/06 and then 3-5 more business days for delivery, with delivery being between 5/30-6/5. Well TODAY, THURSDAY, 2.5 days after I placed the online order tand 5 days before the "expected ship date" the computers ARRIVED via UPS about 5PM.......amazing. No wonder Michael Dell has gotten to where he has. It sure made me think about our CS.
  2. YotaNate

YotaNate LawnSite Member

I ordered a new desktop this winter from Dell. I ordered it one evening. The next day, I decided that I wanted to upgrade the ram, so I called them up. It was too late. The computer had already shipped. I had it the next afternoon.
  3. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Customer service is ALL there is in this business. There is nothing else that can set you apart from the rest.
    It simply amuses me to no end to read all of the "get the shovel" crap, and the "screw the customer, I'M the BOSS" nonsense. In the end the customer IS the boss, they write the checks that we like to cash.
    Yup, laughing all the way to the bank, whilst the shovel carriers are sweating to the oldies on their mowers.:headphones:

We recently bought a Dell.........great sevice as you've said.
  4. MMLawn

EXACTLY, Dave!!!

and GOOD to see on here dude!
  5. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm glad to hear everyone is happy when ordering and buying computers from Dell. I imagine that the satisfaction percentage will drop significantly if you ever actually need customer support on those computers. That's the reason I started building my own.
  6. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Honestly, my experinces with Lesco customer service have been similar.
    Knowledgeable, courtious and FAST.
  7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Same here, my first three computers were Dell's... The first an sx20, then an sx25, then a dx33, all 386's. Yes, for 5-6 years and beyond life was heaven as their customer service ruled ! And, I suspect it still does.

But I can build my own for half the price, and so long there exist customers who are not willing to pay double for the butt-kissing, there will exist Lco's who refuse to kiss said tails. Thou I must admit, sometimes we overdo it and one must remember at the very least, give some tolerance to humans and honest mistakes. Still there is that fine line, don't tread it, if you're over it then it's easy but if you tread it, I got to treat you like that, sorry but I'm just not going to deal with it.

I mean, where does it end? Oh, can you do this bit, oh can you get that thing, how about this and that over there, and on and on with some if you don't put your foot down, it will not end until you have had enough, guaranteed. That having been said, I can't think of any of mine who are that intolerable, thou it took a long time to get there and my phone is considerably quieter today.

It is, however, the way I wanted things.
    For a small business, I find this is ok.
    Lets remember Dell is a huge corporation, and lets remember how many hours they work for how much $ / hour.

p.s.: At least around here, Lesco is way overpriced, and I mean way.
  8. MMLawn

This isn't a Dell computer bashing thread guys......hell any 5th grader can build computers today. The thread is about CUSTOMER SERVICE and how it benefits your business, and if you are a real businessman it should make you think......if you are a or just want to continue to be a lawn monkey then you can build computers on the side to help suport yourself.... ;)
  9. Randy J

Randy J LawnSite Bronze Member

Customer service is all that can set apart many businesses these days. I stopped for lunch the other day at a Denny's. The "waitress" brought my meal, and I never saw her again until she left my check. When she did leave it, she never asked if I needed anything else - even though my glass was just about empty. After done, I thought about ordering some dessert, so I sat there for about 5 minutes while she walked around. She never did come back by my table. So I took my empty glass, went to the counter to get a refill and pay, and left only a 10% tip. (Probably should have been less, but I can almost never bring myself to leave only 15%) It amazes me how many people don't realize business is about customer service.
  10. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Mike, It goes along with our philosophy to under promise and over deliver. The first thing in client satisfaction is for them to feel they got their money's worth from your service, and second is customer service, more so after the install than before. If you put those two things together every time, it's a successful 1-2 combo.