We do Blade Sharpeing in Yellow Pages Ad

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HayBay, May 16, 2004.

1. HayBay

HayBay LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I am picking up a Foley 450 Dedicated Blade Sharpener in a couple of days. My yellow pages ad info is due by mid July for next years listing.

My question is, should I advertise that "We do blade sharpening" and try to generate some revenue to pay for itself?

Does anyone sharpen for others?

I couldn't find anyone around here that sharpens blades properly.

My local guy can't even sharpen my chainsaw blades right.

heres a picture.

model_450.jpg

2. ken50

ken50 LawnSite Member
    from tx

What did you pay for that setup?

3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I would give it a try. I have before sharpened many of blades for family members and friends. Not bad money for it either.

4. HayBay

from Ontario

Ken50

I have been bugging my Dealer about a grinder for a month now so he ordered one for himself and 1 for me. $830 Plus Tax Canadian for the Grinder and its coming from GC-DUKE. I am not getting the stand or the Vacuum as he says I don't need it. Its a 1HP. with an 8" wheel, 24 Grit.

Magnamatic wanted about $1500 but I would have to pay for shipping from Alberta or Duty from the USA, Alberta is further away from me than the USA.

Oregon wants $1499 for their 1.5 HP model with worklight.

Thanks for the info Tiedeman

5. ken50

ken50 LawnSite Member
    from tx

Let us know how you like it once you have used it awhile. Looks like a nice setup. Good luck with it!

6. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

You don't mind people driving up all hours wanting blades sharpened? Are you gonna be there all day? Is that a good use of your time?

Are you located in an area zoned for a retail business where customers drive up to your place of business?

Why would someone who needs a set of blades sharpened go to you instead of their mower dealer? Most people who know the difference between a quality job and a crummy one probably are in the biz and would just buy a machine themselves.

You up to answering phone calls and answering questions about a service where you make what, $4 or $5/blade? (US)

You do realize that many will want to bring a mower in and have you remove and reattach the blade. They will not want to pay a lot for the extra 5 minutes or so it takes.

You do realize that the typical homeowner bringing a blade in for sharpening isn't like doing your own. They will often be worn down to nubs before they bring them in, and so they will take longer to do.

This sounds like peanuts money. Why add the complication to your life? I would assume you could make more in 30 minutes a week doing lawn maintenance than you could sharpening blades as a business.

7. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Ditto everything Bruce32 just said. My thoughts exactly.

8. JPLAWNSERVICE

JPLAWNSERVICE LawnSite Member

It may not be to bad if you could get hooked up with the lco's in your area and show them what a quality job you can give them. Most lco's have several sets of blades for their mowers, you could sharpen a couple of sets for them and they could pick them up and then bring the other sets in when they put the sharpened set on. Offer to grind a set for free to show them the quality of your grind. Not all dealers have a dedicated machine to sharpen on so it is not hard to beat their quality. I know of a dealer in my area that charges $7 to sharpen a blade and they do them by hand and it looks like a kid done them. I agree that if you did blades for homeowners that a lot of them would be better off replacing the blade rather than sharpening them because they neglect them too long. Just my opinion.

9. HayBay

from Ontario

Thanks guys for some feedback, Definately helps in making my mind up.

Heres what I was thinking.

Put "We Sharpen Rotary Mower Blades" at the bottom of my Yellowpages ad Listed in the phone book under LAWN CARE.

So I think, Who looks in the yellow pages for Lawn Care?

Customers that want their lawn cut and don't care about blade sharpening and other LCO's checking out the competition. Sure some Residential Die Hards too. People would need to call ahead, its my home and like mentioned I may not be there. I could hang a Closed sign on the Garage Door if people drop by.

I know I couldn't find a decent guy in this town to sharpen my blades, heck the golf course sends their blades out to be sharpened.

I do agree that this venture may not be worth the time

Im not in this business for the Wrong reasons, I really Really like Taking care of Propertys, Spending and Making Money, fabricating/fixing my equipment, invoicing, etc.. Its my Happy Place. I think I may be a Lawnifile.

We are Zoned Rural Residential. Pretty quite and 50% Farmland in surrounding area, Several at home businesses on this Road.
    Several LCO's too. Pretty laid back community, for example the neighbour just lit his garden from last year on fire so he can replant in a week or 2, no permit, no hose, no nothing but a guy in shorts and tee shirt with some flammables and lighter.

Maybe the best bet is to contact the LCO's individually and offer the sharpenings. 3 for $25.00 sounds good.

10. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I'm with Bruce on this, as far as homeowners go. But, what you could do is advertise for Commercial blade sharpening in the phone book. Then you won't have the ho problems, and word will get out to the other local lcos that you do this.

Me, I've got a bench grinder I do mine with. I've thought of getting a blade sharpener, but the money is somewhat pricey. Especially when I take blades off the mower that have been on for a day or two and look like they have been mowing rocks. Is it really worth the money to upgrade when the blades won't last anyway?