We do not tolerate dog waste!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Freetime, Mar 23, 2001.

1. Freetime

Freetime LawnSite Member

What are some problems and/or solutions you have when it comes to DOG CRAP in the lawn. We have customers that need reminding every year, yet it still goes on and now we just write a nice letter and terminate service for repeat offenders.

What are some of your dog crap stories and their results?

Thanks for your reply.

Mo, mo, mo yo self quickly to de bank!

2. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

Most are decent enough to pick it up, i mean occasionally you are going to hit some. Nevertheless its really awful when stuck to your boots or to the tires.

3. lawnboy53

lawnboy53 LawnSite Member
    from Neb

I hire a contractor to pick it up and add it to the bill, tell they pick it up or you will and bill them. I also wash it off at their house if I step in or drive through it. My guy charges $5.00 a week for clean-up.

4. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

There is a post on this, goes something like "Who, who, who let the dogs out!!"
    There were plenty of replies to that post.

[Edited by AltaLawnCare on 03-23-2001 at 03:40 PM]

5. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

6. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

i read where someone on this site just picks it up and tacts money on the bill for picking it up. sounds like an idea to me.

7. dhenegar

dhenegar LawnSite Member

I had a problem with this guy at some apartments I cut. Every week we would run through this crap. Finally he came out and started complaning about us not trimming around his junk car. So I made him a deal and told him I would do the trimming if he would clean up his dog crap every week. So we did the trimming that week, next week we came back and there was more there than before. The apartment owner said that she had alot of problems out of him before, and said to do whatever I thought would be appropiate to fix this problem. So the next week the night before we mowed we went over and shoveled up every bit of crap and placed it neatly directly in front of his back door and right in front of the drivers side door. After this he never said a word and there was no more crap to wade through. I guess he relized what we went through every week.

8. skyphoto

skyphoto LawnSite Member

I must be as lazy as some of those people you guys are talking about because the customers that dont care to pick it up then I just dont care either...I will run over as it doesnt stick in my tires on the Z cause I have low ground pressure bars so the doodoo just oozesot the side and when I trim I just watch where I walk.....These are not 500,000.00 homes so If they dont mind brown spots....So be it...They are happy to have their yard mowed and they pay more regular than some of those that have the megga homes that I that I do pick up doodoo at.

Peace!

9. Cleve

Cleve LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Rockmart, GA

I did read the last post regards the animal POOP and in that one and this one nobody seems to address the fact that the customer may not be at fault.
    We have a few customers in a nice neighborhood that seem to always have 2 to 4 nice little piles of this stuff each week.
    We know for a fact that the customer does not have a pet and have actually seen the neighbors come by walking theirs. Can only assume that these are the ones responsible.
    I'm not going to penalize a customer (especially elderly) that treats me with respect and always pays their bill on time.
    Cleve.

10. Freetime

Freetime LawnSite Member

Just to clarify, these are dogs that belong to the property we were mowing. The waste was in the back lawn area in excessive amounts. I do agree that crap in the front lawn is ok to certain amount (2-3 piles) and that the customer can not be held responsible if they own no pets or “that their havane don’t match my puppy’s poo” in that case we just mow on.

Thanks for your answers.