"We don't want you to cut today"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TheChiefsLawnCare, Jun 12, 2008.

1. TheChiefsLawnCare

TheChiefsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Ok...what do you do when you get to a area that you cut 4 houses in a row. And 2 people pay for the 4 houses to be cut. One person pays for two houses and the other guy pays for two houses. So i started on one side did the trimming and edging in the front and back of two houses that are paid by the same guy, but not the one that canceled out on me. Then I edged the drive, one side of the sidewalk, and the lil steppin stone path, and then I start to trim and the homeowner comes out and says, "We dont want you to cut it this week, just come and do it next week." What would you guys do. Hes luckly I didnt start on his two houses firsy cause I would have charged him for edging and trimming. Another thing that hes lucky about is, that, there are two other houses that are cut next door so I dont have to move my truck. If his houses where the only two to be cut, I would have stright up told him that I am already here and have started, I will cut this week. Explain to him that since I have started and that I am already here, I will still cut your yard. Explain to him also that if he wants to cancel a cut he needs to call me at least the day before and not when i get there and have started. Does this sound about right? What would you guys do?

2. TheChiefsLawnCare

OOO one other thing, I told him that if the grass is to tall next week, then I will double the price, and his comment was, "OOO it wont be that much taller" WELLL, well shall see, because we have high chances of rain this week. I had taken these yards from a friend and he tried to pull the can you do it every 2 weeks and my friend told him that he will nearly double the price and the guy said ok, do it weekly. So im thinking that now that Im new, hes gonna try the same game, it wont work. I didnt change his price from the other guy and I didnt change my price half way through a cut, why is he gonna change when he wants it cut. I just wont play his games and tell him jus like my friend did, instead of 50 bucks a cut, better start writting check for 90.

3. CALandscapes

CALandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

Personally, I'd drop him. Immediately.

If you need the work, though, you might want to explain the situation, refer to gas prices etc. etc., and possibly ask him if he'd prefer to go to bi-weekly.

Sounds like a PITA to me, though.

4. TheChiefsLawnCare

I dont want to hear, money is tight, so is mine. Should have never agreed on once a week. Isnt everybody's money tight, i dont wanna hear his sad stories.

5. TheChiefsLawnCare

I cant call him that just yet since this is just the second week of me cutting it, but I guess if hes starting this early, maybe its a sign. Idk, ill stick with him for a lil longer, but I will increase my price if he wants to do bi-weekly.

6. TheChiefsLawnCare

Hey, CA what areas do you cut in? I cut in metairie and kenner

7. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

this is what i do every customer gets 1 skip card a year.................. they need 2 kn ow you are a business not a lone company and make sure they all know this is how you feed your family

8. TheChiefsLawnCare

yeah, i dont feed my family, but it pays my bills, lol. yeah that sounds about right.

9. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

We have a 24 hr cancellation policy. We show up and customers says please don't cut, no problem. They just got charged for the cut. No exceptions.

10. TheChiefsLawnCare

I like that, do you do contracts with all that written in. Cause I would do that if I was to do contracts. Ill do contracts if i decided to stay in the business.