We finally requestion higher price due to fuel cost this year.........

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ProStreetCamaro, May 1, 2007.

1. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

And we have had a great response from our customers with zero complaints. We made it voluntary and not mandatory and every single customer has sent an extra $2 per cut and a couple have sent an extra $10 to $20.

I am attaching the document for you guys to see what we did. If you wish to use it and modify it to work for you I wont mind at all. I think this approach worked out alot better than just tacking on a surcharge or raising prices across the board because the customers are not being forced to pay it. :)

EDIT: I tottaly messed up the thread title. It should read "requested"

Attached Files:

2. violatorjf

violatorjf LawnSite Member

I tried to open it and it looked like a bunch of jibberish?

3. ProStreetCamaro

Do you have microsoft word? It is a word document.

4. G.M.Landscaping

G.M.Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I have word and it also was unreadable.

5. G.M.Landscaping

G.M.Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I have word and it also was unreadable.

I just sent out my invoices for the month and raised the prices on cuts starting june 1st. I'm wondering how that will go myself.

6. Damian

Damian LawnSite Member

I just have wordpad and it's gibberish to me as well. Maybe you coudl just paste it into the body of a reply?

7. lawntimenosee

lawntimenosee LawnSite Senior Member

:( same here

8. ProStreetCamaro

Thats really odd that its not working. I used office 2007 pro to make the document.

Anyway here is the contents of the document.

Bell Lawn service
    Dear Valued Customer
    We have made an attempt to refrain from raising prices or charging surcharges because of the increased price of fuel over the last couple of years. What we are going to do this year is ask our customers to pay an extra $1 to $2 per cutting on a strictly voluntary basis. We are not going to make it mandatory like the majority of landscape companies have done over the last couple of years. We understand that people have budgets to maintain and this is why we are not going to make this mandatory.

When we bill at the end of each month we will leave a bill for the regular price. If you wish to add an additional $1 to $2 for each cutting for the month it would be greatly appreciated. Either way we will continue to service your lawn as we always have in the past with pride and care.

Thank you
    Gary Bell and Patrick Bell

The format is a little messed up from the copy and paste but you guys get the idea.

9. bobcatnj

bobcatnj LawnSite Senior Member

forget that voluntary crap!!! i have in the contract if fuel is above 2.50 gallon 5% is added onto the lawn bill

10. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I like the idea, but if gas goes to $4.00 or more per gallon like some are forecasting, what are you going to do? Tough it out, hope for a better responce, or send out a new letter mandating a fuel surcharge? I sent a letter earlier this year stating if gas went above $2.65 a gallon that there would be a 5% increase. So far, no one has complained.