Greetings all, This Christmas my family and I have been struggling with an issue. On the 17th of December I received an unsolicited offer to buy our business. I had to admit I was shocked when the attorney contacted me. At first I told him no way. He suggested that I take some time to think about it. I agreed. I spoke to my wife about it and she was feeling the same as me. We built this from the ground up with sweat equity. Coming into the end of this year we won a couple of 3 year contracts with the county and school system. It seems this is what got the buyers attention. What we realized is that we are working 60+ hours a week and dont have a lot of freedom to do what we want. So we started really looking at this offer to see if it made sense to us. We started doing the what if thing. What if we turned down the offer: Continue to work 60 hours a week Employee headaches Lack of freedom to spend time together with family Stress of running a larger operation More income potential What if we sold: Pay off all bills and be debt free Time to do what we wanted Hunt for new job (job = just over broke) No stress from owning a business Income? There was much more in our lists in each category. We spent most of Christmas Eve talking about it while playing elfs for the kids. The company making the offer is a well established landscape business. I can not release the name sorry. They are about the same size and the two companies do fit together well. The big difference is that we are much more efficient in our operations thus more profitable. Whether that can be maintained will be up to the new managers. We did make a counter offer and faxed it to them on Christmas Day. We upped the offer quite a bit (by a $100K) and changed the terms. We re-wrote the non-compete clause and kept one truck and a trailer full of equipment. Additionally, I wanted to hand pick 30 residential accounts, ones that had been with me for years. I also wanted to keep the company name, website, etc. The final item was a guarantee for 24 months for the employees. So basically we sold customers and equipment. I faxed the counter offer back to them late on Christmas day. On Sunday evening I got a fax accepting the terms. After struggling with this for several days we decided to sell because the kids have no interest in working in the business and we wanted more time to do the things we wanted to do. So with the stroke of the pen on Wednesday I will once again become a solo operator. This time all of the equipment is paid for as well as my house I just bought in Feb of this year and all 4 kids college educations are paid for. We will be debt free! What a feeling. Get this .. well still have $$$ left over for a rainy day! It is a funny feeling but also a good one. I sat down with everyone that works for us and they are supportive of the idea. What am I really getting? I am getting Free Time back that will allow me to do what I want to do and when. I still am in the industry that I love and with 30 loyal customers whom I have a long standing relationship with. This was a very hard decision. What it came down to what not the $$$ although that had a major impact. What it had to do with is why I originally decided to do this full time. I wanted some freedom to do what I wanted to do and when.