We need some type of regulstion here...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Albery's Lawn & Tractor, Apr 13, 2008.

1. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

This year is worse then I ever thought it would be. Every where you look someone is now mowing grass on the side here. Now I have no problem with competition, but in my area I would bet that 10% of the LCO's are even legal, insured, or report taxes on there work. These guys have really started to cut into our work not just on the residental market but now commercial. Their work looks like crap and it just makes our industry look like a joke. When I see there little ads posted on local websites, I'll ask them about being liscensed for pesticides or having insurance or being a liscensed landscaper and of course they never do. I don't really want to be a narc but at the same time I play by the rules and am fully legit so why should I lose business to some guy who cheats? I'm thinking of calling down to the county to complain. You would think they'd do something so they could make money off of the permits and property taxes. Sorry just pissed off right now and need to vent. Any ideas good or bad are appreciated.
  2. lawnjockey56

lawnjockey56 LawnSite Member

what is regulstion?
  3. Smith Lawn & Landscaping

Smith Lawn & Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Im gonna go out on a limb here and guess he meant regulation???:confused:
  4. greengiant9963

greengiant9963 LawnSite Senior Member

It happens every year. Every year it gets worse to. Just a very easy market to get into. A used truck and trailer. A belt drive walk behind and you are in business. Really amazes me with what gas prices are the price of the bids on lawns just keeps going down. It is going to get worse before it gets better. I agree something should be done but what?
  5. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

there is regulation. Its just not being enforced.
  6. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry I meant regulation. There is none in my area. You do not have to have a business liscense or permeit to work in our county or city. So therefore you have all these guys that buy there equipment from lowes or sears and are in business. Most a probably doing this on the side but I would bet every dollar to my name they don't pay taxes on their work. Guys are advertising that they are a landscaper yet not certified. No of these guys have insurance and the homeowner is too stupid to understand that it makes them liable if something happens. I just think the county should make us have a bus liscenes, insurance to work in there area. They would make money off of it as well as property taxes from our equipment. We've got county inspectors all over why can't they stop and check the guy that has a sign on his truck, or the one's advertising on the local websites or papers?
  7. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

Some other guys have said the same thing.
    Then it is found that they are breaking the law, just as much, or worse, as the next guy.

Nothing against you, just what I have seen before.
  8. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Some of it is not having insurance or licenses. But do the math. Those expenses don't add up to that much. The biggest factors in your competition beating your price are:

1. They're willing to make a lot less. Their last job paid $10/hour and even lowballing they can match that. Sometimes this is all there is to it.

2. Or, they're somene who doesn't mind hiring people, paying them cash, not paying payroll taxes, not paying UIC premiums, their employees not paying taxes, not making sure they're legally entitled to work here, sending them to our government for services taxpayer have to cover to make up the shortfall in wages, housing them in "barracks" in neighborhoods, destroying the value of the neighboring homes since nobody's going to buy the home next to the one with 12 young men living in it, not getting proper commercial auto insurance(mistakenly assuming their personal policy will cover them while working...read it...it won't), not declaring these "employees" on their liability or auto policies (which skyrockets premiums), not caring if their trucks drive around with unlicensed drivers, etc. etc. They also may not have a problem with overbooking work, then just not showing up to the low-paid jobs if it rains or they run behind. They don't mind being scumbags, in other words.

Between the two, #1 is simply liberty and a free market economy. It's those that choose the #2 strategy that are the real problem. Often they have quite impressive looking operations on the surface. But they're an accident,serious damage situation, or government crackdown away from bankruptcy due to fines and lawsuits.
  9. landscaper22

landscaper22 LawnSite Senior Member

No, we do not need more regulation. That's what is wrong with this country now. Why do the people in this country look to the government to lead us by the hand? Ever heard of the free market, and supply and demand? Yeah it is what America used to be about. And they already regulate us more than ever. We have to be licensed for different things as it is now. All we need is a LCO certification license for $300-400 per year so we can receive a piece of paper saying we have been certified to provide our services. :dizzy:

What we need to do is stand together and turn in the illegal operators. If nothing else they will get in trouble for evading taxes. Crack down on a few, and you will see a lot more LCOs disappear quickly. Or they will suddenly raise their prices because they became legal.
  10. Mowing Freak

Mowing Freak LawnSite Senior Member
    from S.E. Ks

In my area, they come around every year and like normal, I get a little scared every year, but am trying to stop that. They start when it is cool and nice mowing weather then seem to disappear when the mercury hits 90-100. Thats when my phone starts ringing again and I pickup permanent accounts. In a way, I like SOME of the low ballers as they can do the little old ladies who don't make much money and can't afford me. If, they last through the heat, then by next year or two, they won't be around at all. It does bother me too as I am doing my best to be legit, insurance, taxes, etc., and they get off almost free using their commercial Murry's and all. But with the low baller turn over we have here, I should be mature enough not to worry about it, but I still do a little.