We now have 89 LCO's in our paper

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CustomCreations, Apr 20, 2011.

1. CustomCreations

CustomCreations LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I was just browsing through our local paper and saw advertising for 31 NEW "lawncare" businesses bringing the total advertising to 89. I posted last year on this as for the $18.95 mowing but there are guys now putting under 10K sq ft for 10 dollars.. Showing fully insured. The smart thing to do is pick this fella and sub my lawns out if I knew they were any good... Thats a good business move :cool2:

Just getting absolutely ridiculous.. Dont even need a truck anymore just a car with a trunk...

Forgot to add those 89 "companies" are in a town of 38,400

2. BINKY1902

BINKY1902 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from South

In my town around this time of the year you see a ton of ads for lawn care, but by June you see the same amount of ads for almost new/used commercial mowers for sale.

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

It's more every year.

4. rcslawncare

rcslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Iv counted at least 20 non legit this year I haven't seen before. Don't mind seeing the competition doing it right, but unloading a MTD rider with no hood out of an old Toyota U-Hall truck.... Good stuff right there.

5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Even my wife said something to me about it. She said she was stopped at a traffic light and she saw 4 LCOs go by while waiting for the light to turn green. It gets even worse on the weekends around here. Then the part timers come out.

6. Jimslawncareservice

Jimslawncareservice LawnSite Platinum Member
    from mn

Well the other day I saw a guy from iowa up here doing clean ups. Is there no work down there. We are a good hour from the border. He has advertising either. Not sure how he gets work.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

I see a few new "companies" around me but really not that many. I see the usual, legit companies around and only a few new ones. I never see the people with the mower in the trunk of the car.

8. Groomer

Groomer LawnSite Bronze Member

welcome to the rust belt. An ever increasing horde of trucks and trailers, with an equally decreasing demand for quality by a shrinking public that has been hard hit economically. Not exactly the greatest recipe for lawncare 2011.

9. Mahoney3223

Mahoney3223 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

amen ....................now we have mechanics at our dealers moonlighting mowing lawns on the side around me. i've officially seen it all

10. Clark Griswold

Clark Griswold LawnSite Senior Member

How do you know the exact amout of LCO's in your area? It's impossible to know!

I bet there's actually more than that!