We run the county now...I guess

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tiedeman, Aug 5, 2004.

1. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

Well, the road commission up here in Clare County doesn't have that great of an image. They are considered lazy people that are just there for the retirement benefits.

Every year the county comes around and cuts back the corners (for you can see) at intersections because of the tall grass growth. Well, they cut back early this spring and since then the corners were needing another cutting really bad.

My parents live down the road from a major intersection that they use to get to town. So they have to deal with the tall grass. Well, this grass has been so bad for the past 2 months that you can not see the incoming trafffic. So finally after complaining for months about the situation, the old man (my dad) and me decided to take action.

We went down to the corner and just started to hack away with the trimmers. You would not believe how many people stopped us to thank us for doing it. They too were getting sick and tired on the tall grass as well and not being able to see the traffic coming

So afterwards we joked around about how we own the county now because we are the only ones that take care of it.

Just a story that I thought I would pass on.:D

2. Rick Jones

Rick Jones LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

It's too bad you had to do it, but sometimes taking matters into your own hands gets the best results. More power to you!

3. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Good for you and pop.
    It's a shame it's got to be you doing it but kudos to you and
    your dad.

4. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

Send a bill to the county and see what they do.

5. Rick Jones

Rick Jones LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

^^I'm sure it will be promptly filed in the old circular file!

6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

we were actually thinking about it. Send a bill with before and after photos. Just kind of joking around but at the same time proving a point

7. pcnservices

pcnservices LawnSite Senior Member

Good for you! You should've had a petition ready and have everybody that stopped sign it for you - take that to the county office and wring their necks!

8. kipper

kipper LawnSite Member

I would put a big sign in there saying something like " This area prepared by ___________ landscape company and your telephone number. Let the town call you, then tell them you will just let it grow next time, if they have a problem with it. Would be really good advertising.

9. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

Should have got one of those signs you see the guys standing on the corner with.

Will weed wack for food :D

10. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

tiedeman, send the bill and I'll bet your taxes will go up next year.