1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

"We will meet or beat any major competitors writen estimate."

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Eric 1, Aug 21, 2004.

1. Eric 1

Eric 1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I saw this in an add today, just seems like with all the low-ballers out it could really come back to bite you?

What do you think?
  2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Don't really know. Sometimes these types of things are written just to get the phone call, so they can get out to the property to sell to the customer. What exactly is a "major competitor?" The way they have that worded sounds like they are just looking for the call. Show them a price, and they'll say, "we don't consider them a major competitor." Just because they write that doesn't mean they will follow thru with a lower price.
  3. Eric 1

Eric 1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah Jodi, that makes sense.

Define MAJOR competitor.
  4. snippy

snippy LawnSite Member

Yes its just a foot in the door scam, like the one I've got to compete with in my local paper....... " average lawn ten dollars or less"....... I can imagine he doesn't see too many lawns that he considers average.
  5. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

It's not a scam, it's a marketing technique. More of us here should learn them.
  6. yard sloth

yard sloth LawnSite Member

here in Fort Worth I saw a lc truck with a large sign saying something like "Any yard cut for $25, if we can't cut your yard for $25, we will give you $25" ... How do they get around that when the people with the multi level terraced, intricately landscaped and neglected, 2 acre yard from from hell call?
  7. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Yeah it can be construed as a marketing technique, but is it a good one? When I read about these kind of "bait and switch" techniques from any service company, I don't respect them at all. Hey maybe that's just me, but I hate to be misled.
  8. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Yard Sloth. It seems that if this company comes up to a place that has a lawn that is 2 acres large, then what they tell the owner is that they can't do it for $25 and that they will give them $25 - as long as they're allowed to do the work and then charge accordingly. They would then most likely charge $75 after handing the person $25.
  9. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

yup, have to agree. They always have something that covers their butt
  10. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree as well. Though, if your looking to grow your company quickly, this is the technique. I know there is a loophole in anything that sounds too good to be true, but there is an unbelievable amount of people that don't.