Lawn Care Forum banner

Weak BBC on Toro 21?

986 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Envy Lawn Service 
#1 ·
Its an older model, 5hp Suzuki. After the mower heats up, if I dis-engage the blade and engage again, it takes forever for the blades to catch speed to the engine. Any common cause for this? What should I look for when taking it apart?

#2 ·
I just had my 21" proline repaired for the same problem. It turned out to be a stretched-out bbc belt. I decided to just take it to the shop because I didn't know what the problem was. I think it ran me like $90 or something. My mechanic said it is a pain in the arse to change that belt anyway, so I didn't mind letting him do it. Anyway, that is most definitely the problem, unless the clutch pad is completley burnt, which is unlikeley unless it has seen a LOT of hours IMO. As a side note, while you're in there, its a good time to check the torque on your engine mounting bolts.

#3 ·
It's going to need a new BBC belt and possibly a tension adjustment.

This repair is really no sweat at all. I did it myself without any instruction and if I can do it anyone can. Get your model number off the back of the mower and go down to the Toro dealer for a belt. Personally, I changed the BBC and the trans belt while I was in there.

I'll be glad to give you step by step instructions also if you want. This way, it only costs you the parts and a few minutes work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.