Weak Hydro - Leaking?

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by deason, Feb 6, 2008.

1. deason

deason LawnSite Member

We have a 2001 LHP that has what seems to be a weak hydro. By weak I mean that it is spongy, loss of speed either direction, loss of power etc. But I notice something strange. It goes through hydro oil like candy. It consumes about 6 oz per hour when running. The funny thing is that it does not seem to be leaking that much. I have noticed the tops of the pumps collecting dirt as if they were leaking but it doesnt look like that much oil. All the lines are clean. Is it possible to have a pinhole in the lines somewhere that is letting the oil "evaporate"?

Just trying to troubleshoot before it goes to the dealer. I would hate to spend $600 on a $25 line or fitting.

Thanks

2. deason

deason LawnSite Member

bump......

3. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

deason,

I'm waiting on a response from our customer service reps. I will let you know what they have to say asap. If you need an immediate response, please call us at 1-800-667-5296. Sorry for the delay.

KC

4. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

deason,

Thanks for your patience, the majority of us techs are on the road this time of the year, and this site seams to fall through the cracks during that time.

First, the hydro system will not consume oil, it is a closed loop system, so any oil 'missing' has leaked out.

With the symptoms that you are describing I would guess that you are having air introduced into the system. This can cause the reservoir to over fill and actually lose fluid through the vent...now if this is happening, you should notice fluid at the reservoir.

Have you changed the hydro filter lately? This is the most likely place/scenario of air being introduced.

Let us know, I'll be watching and be sure to respond more promptly.

Thanks,
    Lenny