Weak left hydro pump

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by zamboni, Oct 23, 2007.

1. zamboni

zamboni LawnSite Member

Hello everyone. I've got an 04 toro hydro 44" SFS walkbehind. The left hydro pump lost about 35% of it's power. The oil is up to level and the right one is fine. Is it repairable at the shop or should I just get a new left pump? BTW, how much is each pump. Thanks, John.

2. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

3. traman

traman LawnSite Senior Member

before jumping to conclusions, make sure your release valve is tight,sometimes they can work them selves loose and cause the problem you are having

4. MOTES

MOTES LawnSite Member

I've had this hydro problem before. Before buying a new or use one, Take it apart.....it's easy and it's free. When taking apart, clean everything, wash it down with brake cleaner or gasoline.(sometime "pistons" are not going in and out as they should be which make it feel like losing power.) There's not much in the hydro. Make sure you slowly fill oil back into the pump before hooking up the lines. Hope this help.

5. ExclusiveLawnCare

ExclusiveLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

maybe try bleeding the system alittle , maybe some air some how got in there over the time.

6. johnwon

johnwon LawnSite Senior Member

I use to use gas for cleaning parts when I was in my teens. My dad saw what I was doing "I was using a wire brush" and open my eyes to the danger of using gas for parts cleaning. The gas fumes will drift off and may find a source of ignition. Just wanted to pass that on because I didn't give it any thought at the time....could have been because I was high on gas fumes at the time.

7. Bear's Total Works

Bear's Total Works LawnSite Member

you would be bettter off to buy a new pump now or you'll have the same problem in 3 to 6 months

8. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

how about a loose or slipery pulley?

a three year old pump should not be going out....

9. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

May as well add my 2 cent,

Check belt tension, a loose/worn belt could in deed cause one pump to drive more than the other. Also check all hydro hose/line fittings for tightness, A loose fitting could suck air but not leak oil.

If you haven't serviced/changed the hydro filter and oil do that as well.

10. MOTES

MOTES LawnSite Member

Careful if cleaning with gas. As far as hydro pump, if you decideing to take apart the hydro, and problem solve, then you will not have to worry about it again for a long time only if - clean everthing up, dump all old hydro oil, replace filter, add new oil- and check out what everybody else mention on earlier posts. You'll be fine.