Weak power from Toro Walk behind?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jasher20, Jun 14, 2006.

1. Jasher20

Jasher20 LawnSite Member

I have an older Toro walk behind mower. I have noticed a significant loss of power when going up hills when i push down on the bars to move the mower forward. There is no sign of any damage to the traction unit. The belts do not slip, so I am just wondering why this is happening. Is there a fluid that I need to replace? Please give me some ideas.
    thanks

2. ODUrugger

ODUrugger LawnSite Member

Could be completely wrong... but I'll add in anyway... The drive unit is meant to function normally on flat terrain. And on flat terrain the mowers weight is distributed more evenly between all 4 wheels.... when going uphill (and Im assuming you drive wheels are the downhill pair) the weight is loaded onto your drive wheels.... this increases resistance, and hence requires more power to move less distance.... Anyway... thats coming from a math/ physiscs guy who dosent work with walkbehinds, so like I said.... probably best to wait for more answers!

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Put the front of the ower against a tree and actuate the drive and you can quickly see what is slipping. Isn't this a belt drive? Likely a loose belt under the motor as starters.

4. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

When belts get old or very dry and hard they still grip, but not like a new belt, I feel like you have a belt that is slipping just a little under a heavy load

wayne