Weak reverse on Scag WB

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Aaron's Lawn Care, Sep 10, 2006.

1. Aaron's Lawn Care

Aaron's Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I bought an '02 61" Scag WB with the advantage deck bakck in the beginning of the summer. The mower has been great with the exception of having a really weak reverse. I had another 61" Scag WB before this one and it had a really strong reverse and it was a 1998 model.

At first, both wheels had a weak reverse but then I had my guy adjust the tracking and raise the handle bars for me (I'm a tall guy) and that fixed the problem on one wheel. Now I have one wheel that pulls strong in reverse and another that is really slow. The weak wheel seems to be getting weaker and weaker the more I use it.

Does anyone have any ideas for me to fix this? Could it be the hydros themselves? Maybe the wheel motors?

2. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

It could be either 1 of the 2. Maybe also the adjusting rod is loose and moving from vibration. thats what was wrong with my Z. I was tinkering with it 1 day and forgot to tighten one of the bolts.

3. Aaron's Lawn Care

Thanks for the help. Anyone else have any ideas?

4. Chop Stuff Up

Chop Stuff Up LawnSite Senior Member

is it hydro or belt?

5. Aaron's Lawn Care

hydro. (see last sentence of my original post)

6. Chop Stuff Up

Chop Stuff Up LawnSite Senior Member

oh I missed that

7. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like your guy needs to re-adjust the weak side, He is probably too far forward on the neutral band.

8. Aaron's Lawn Care

but when i let it go without touching the controls it rolls perfectly straight. wouldn't it be pulling to one side if it wasn't adjusted correctly?

9. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Post the model and serial numbers off this unit.