Weak solenoid?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by sossw, Aug 23, 2007.

1. sossw

sossw LawnSite Member

Will a solenoid get weak and restrict the electricity going through it or does it just go bad and quit working altogether?

I have an old John Deere 111 and the engine won't turn over. I have replaced the starter and now it will turn over until it gets to the compression stroke and then quits. If I turn the motor over past the compression stroke by hand, the starter will then turn the motor until the compression stroke again. Could this be the solenoid?

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Not likely the solenoid, What is the model number off the engine ?
  3. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

yes it could, very very possible, it was the problem on my kodiak. put a 12 dollar solenoid on it and it flung right over. give it a shot of 24 volt and see what it says to that or on 12 take a long screw driver and jump the posts on the solenoid and if it is the problem it will over ride it.
  4. sossw

sossw LawnSite Member

Model 220707
    type 0641-01
    code 84042610
  5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Now seeing this is not a OHV engine it could be the solenoid as briandennis said or a weak battery. You can jump the two large post on the solenoid as brian said and if it spins over good replace the solenoid. If it still doesn't spin when jumping check the battery connections, If they are clean take the battery to a auto shop or auto parts store and have it load tested.
  6. Bill Kapaun

Bill Kapaun LawnSite Senior Member

When checking battery connections, don't forget the ground connections too. Battery to frame & frame to engine.
  7. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

What was it doing before you replaces the starter? It sounds like a bad battery to me since your not getting a rapid clicking sound while cranking. Have you tried a "known good" battery?
  8. sossw

sossw LawnSite Member

Thanks everyone. I'll check them both and let you know what I find.

9. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare LawnSite Senior Member
    from iowa

i've have the same thing from batteries from Orielly's as they all went bad in a couple months. i have had bad soleniods slug motors down abd also have to big of one blow fused before.
  10. sossw

sossw LawnSite Member

It turns out the solenoid was not bad.
    The problem was the battery charger I was trying to charge the battery with. My thinking was that even if the battery was junk the charger hooked up to the battery should turn the motor over. It did not. I tried a different battery charger and now the motor will start. I still need to check to see if the battery will hold a charge.