1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

weak spark and rpm?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by diggerdave65, Nov 26, 2007.

1. diggerdave65

diggerdave65 LawnSite Member

Hi Guys—2 questions:
    First can anyone recommend one of those hand held RPM meters for lawn engines or provide a link to one? Im a weekend engine tinkerer – not full time so I don’t really want to drop loads of $$ if possible.
    Second: is it possible to have spark and still not combust?? In other words does the spark have to be a certain intensity to work? Reason I ask is Im working on one of my skidoo sleds (gas/oil mixture) b/c she wont fire up. I have an inline spark tester, and when it is hooked to either plug and I pull I get a spark BUT it is very faint and orange. This compares to other gas engines where the flash in the tester was usually white hot in color. If Im correct about the spark not being “hot” enough then I think the CDI unit may be my culprit. Is weak spark failure to combust more common in mixture engines?? It would seem logical. Thanks in advance
  2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic