Weak Starter?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Jaynen, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Jaynen

Jaynen LawnSite Member

Hello
    I got this riding lawn tractor and I am having trouble getting it to start. The problem is it cranks but very slow like the battery is weak and doesnt have enough power to spin the engine fast to get it started. The engine is a briggs 26 hp. There is no load on the engine, the deck is off, and the engine spins easy. I could rope start it no problem. I tested it with 3 different batteries all I know were good and I get the same result every time. I even bypassed all the electrical and hooked the battery up directly to the starter with the same results. I took apart the starter and cleaned it up and made sure all the connections were solid and the brushes where good. Is it possible for a starter to go weak? Is there any tests I can do on the starter? Thanks for any help.

2. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

Maybe something wrong with the compression release of the engine or the valve adjustment. Try pulling the spark plugs out and cranking the engine over...if it spins good and fast then the starter is probably ok. Check your valve adjustments.

3. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Replace the starter. It sounds like worn out windings. The fact you rope start it rules out valve adjustment. Napa should be able to bench test its amp draw.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. jp@absolute

jp@absolute Banned

Most auto parts stores can bench test starters for you. I would have to agree with Patriot it sounds like the starter is week, and the windings maybe wore.

5. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

Did you actually rope start it? "I could rope start it no problem" doesnt mean he actually did it...especially considering I have not seen a 26HP Briggs with a pull start or even an easy way to wrap a rope onto it and pull.

6. Jaynen

Jaynen LawnSite Member

No I didn't actually rope start it. I can spin it by hand very easily, the only resistance is the compression which feels good. The starter should be able to spin it no problem but doesn't. I gonna work more on testing the starter before trying the other suggestions. I'll let you guys know what happends. Thanks for the suggestions!

7. Jaynen

Jaynen LawnSite Member

Well I brought the starter down to a starter and alternator place and got them to test the starter. He said it was fine and showed me it spinning. I said I wanted it tested under a load and gave him the specs but he insisted that the starter was fine. He opened it up and said everything checked out. So I guess I am gonna assume the starter is okay. Hes been in business for quite a few years so I guess I gotta trust him.

8. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Since you can turn the engine over by hand and can put power directly to the starter, I'm stumped. Pull the plugs and see if it spins over. A free spin bench test doesn't convince me.:usflag:

9. Jaynen

Jaynen LawnSite Member

Okay I will try some things tommorow or the next day and report back.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. PK Mows

PK Mows LawnSite Member

I'm assuming that's an Intek? If so, adjust the valves. They have to be adjusted with the piston at 1/4" past TDC and lashed at .004". Very, very common issue and they should be adjusted every 100 hours for best results. My repair shop, we included it with an annual service.

The compression release is dependent on proper valve lash on these engines, it's just a slight bump on the cam profile that pops a valve open a little at starting speeds. I can pm you a link to an article I wrote describing the process if you need it. The Briggs public site has directions too, under valve replacement or valve maintenance or something like that.