Weak zone

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Arrow, Sep 24, 2006.

1. Arrow

Arrow LawnSite Member

Hi everyone,

How do you determined why the water pressure for a zone is weak? It's not strong enough to pop all the heads up when "on". I was thinking of capping all the heads and testing one opening at a time to determine any clog but this is so time consuming. Maybe the problem is the calcium deposit on the heads? How often do you clean/replace? I've cleaned mine a year back but with little effect.

thanks for your input.
  2. Try replacing the zone valve diaphragm.
  3. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

Did it ever work? Is the problem with just one zone? or are all the zones weaker? Not enough information to even begin guessing at this point.
  4. Bigred350

Bigred350 LawnSite Senior Member

5. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

Might consider looking for a leak before you jump in and start changing out stuff. Maybe under a head or two - broken riser, swing joint fitting. Or you might have old Weathermatic 30 series heads with bad wiper seals. A couple cracked sprinkler bodies will do the same thing.

Damn I love it when folks start changing out parts without all the facts. Hell might as well change out the controller too. And all the drip while you're at it. (Had to get that one in SheShovel) Why would you change out the valve when it is obvious from his post that it works? Although we don't have all the info, it does turn on apparently. Maybe a new diaphragm would do the trick.
  6. Since I change out 1 or two diaphragms a week from weak or not working zones, I stated the most obvious problem apart from leaks:rolleyes:
    While typing this out, I just received a call. One zone not working and one is a little weaker than normal. My guess is diaphragms.....
  7. Yes please replace all the piping to that zone also...and while you are at it...the water heater acts funny when that zone runs...so please replace it as well....amen.
  8. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

I think I too will wait for additional info. Hell... Maybe I'll wait until the whole thing is fixed, find out the solution and then suggest THAT. Then nothing will have to be changed except for what is actually wrong. :laugh:
  9. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Keep it up just keep it up, your day is coming!
    I can see it now!~
  10. This is what I found on the call that I guessed diaphragms on Monday....