Wealthy customers are the cheapest!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ChadA, Jun 10, 2005.

1. ChadA

ChadA LawnSite Senior Member

I know this has been dicussed before but I had to deal with it personally today and need to vent a little.
    I get a call from A lady on the Naval base were my wife works asking if I can cut her yard TODAY. I let her know it would be extra for such short notice. She said ok come take a look at it. She told me her husband is a Captain in the Navy and a doctor at the hospital. No big deal they get the same treatment as everyone else. So I go look at it. Huge yard, bahia that hasn't been cut in two months. At least 10" tall and a shadow box fence along the back about 200'. Plus trimming around the house. And only about 20' of edging. I tell her for one time service it will be $60. Right away she says, "thats high, I was thinking more like $30-35. I said excuse me. She repeats herself. I explain that its a big yard and the grass is tall. She gives me the whole I'll wait until my grandson gets home next week and have him do it. She then paused for a second like I was gonna come down on my price. I said OK thanks for calling, if you ever need us give us a call.
    Why are people with money so cheap. I know there not rich rich but come on, 30-35 what the hell is that about. Oh well.
    OK I feel better.

2. nlminc

nlminc LawnSite Bronze Member
    from GA

She'll be calling you back after her g-son tells her to screw.

3. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

The only reason you heard from her was because no one cut it for free yet.......(her grandson)

4. ChadA

ChadA LawnSite Senior Member

I was thinking the same thing. Then the price will be 70.

5. justanotherlawnguy

justanotherlawnguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I make more money on the small cookie cutter houses with 50x110 lots that take 15 minutes than I do on large homes in exclusive neighborhoods that get charged twice as much!!!!!!!!!!

6. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

it depends... some rich people are cheap, and some dont care what it costs as long as it gets done and looks good.
    of course we all love the ones who dont care what it costs. I have a project going on at a house like this right now actually, they keep adding stuff that they want and I tell them it'll be quite a bit more expensive, and they tell me that it doesnt matter what it costs just to get it done and add it to the final bill. Gosh I love that. LOL.

7. liquidforcedude7

liquidforcedude7 LawnSite Senior Member
    from america

My next door neighboor hired me because her husband is getting too old to take care of their yard but he still really wants to. But they have a huge house a 50 some foot yacht and a vacation house in lake tahoe that sits empty except for one week a year. And they want to argue my $5 raise from 20 to $25...

8. Scapegoat

Scapegoat LawnSite Member

As far as landscaping design and install goes, I've noticed the "rich" people that flaunt their money (ie. designer clothes, BMW, flashy jewelry) are the ones that are the tightest with their cash and the biggest PITA. These are more of the "new money" crowd or simply peeps in debt up to their eyeballs to live a lifestyle they think is cool.

The weathly ones that are "old money" and dress down, comfy in jeans and worn polo and drive a 2 year old Suburban full of dog hair are the ones that don't question prices. They are the ones that don't have to ask cause they can afford it, whatever the price.

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Rack one up for experience :)

But you did good, back in my first year I was so desperate I haggled with them until I still did the job for less than it should've cost.

Things get better with time.

Lesson I learned: *NEVER* allow anyone in front of the line. What's the line? The line is all those jobs you got waiting - IF you got extra time, you don't got enough work - Get more work ;)

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

You are correct, the fancyfolk with their slick cleverness, man I hate that crap. The fancyfolk didn't get rich by being stupid, and when they flaunt their money, they are actually tempting you with GREED because they know this clouds your judgement (and it DOES, you get greedy and you will stupidly quote a lower price OR they will get over on you in other ways). Anytime someone tries to tempt me with greed, I get the F*K outta there, these ppls are bad news.

I have very few accounts in million-dollar places because of that problem - They think NOTHING of getting over on us, but there are a few really cool customers out there that will treat you right. As for the rest, most of my customers are Mainstream America - hard-working folk earning 20k-50k / year and I have a LOT less problems.