Wear Safety Glasses While Mowing?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Canadian GreenScape, Jul 6, 2004.

1. Canadian GreenScape

Canadian GreenScape LawnSite Member

How many guys wear safety glasses while on the mower? Im thinking about wearing them full time after getting grass in them from blowback out of the chute on windy days, and one pine cone to the head that bounced off a tree. Maybe the only thing that would solve the grass blowing in the wind is a pair of those nice speedo swimming goggles :p but then id have to wear the speedo to match.. that prob wouldnt be good :D

2. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

i wear sunglasses when edging, trimming, and blowing.... i dont wear anything on for my eyes when mowing. its harder to make straight lines with shades on when your mowing. IMO

3. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

I second that motion. The blower and the trimmer are the ones that really get ya.

4. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

I didn't wear them on the mower until I got a sharp piece of sand in the eye. I wear them now! I wear eye protection and hearing protection with everything now, mower, trimmer, blower, chainsaw.

5. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

I wear them at all times partly because of the kind of thing Up North mentions, partly just so I'm in the habit of always having them on.

6. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

I wear eye protection anytime an engine is running, whether I'm operating or not. Also, beware of bungee cords.

7. Lombardi

Lombardi LawnSite Senior Member

So far the teenagers all agree that they do not need to wear eye protection and the older, much more experienced guys say wear eye protection.
    For all you young or inexperienced guys that DO NOT think you know everything about the business, please, please be smart and save your eyesight by wearing safety glasses. They now make safety glasses that are very fashionable and you will not be embarrassed to be seen in them.
    I know of a guy who lost his vision in one eye from a barely visible piece of grass that shot directly into his pupil. Guess what, he now wears safety glasses.

8. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

I wear ear and eye protection with every thing except the mower.

9. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

most of the guys wear safety glasses or sunglasses.also all wear hearing protection...

10. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i wear sunglasses, that are also safety glasses. i wear them all the time. they protect my eyes from objects, the sun, but mostly i wear them, cus they make me look cool.