WEAR & TEAR ON MOWERS?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowman, Jan 23, 2001.

1. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

How do you guys figure how much money to set aside for repairs. Do you figure so much per lawn or do you just cut a check when things break down. Wear & Tear is an expense, correct? Thanks for your advice. Much appreciated.
    Mowman

2. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

I have a certain amount of money that i consider
    necessary to ensure that I can continue to operate
    in case of major failure.WORKS FOR ME

3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

It depends on the age of your equipment a lot. If it's all new, the first year you can rely on warranty for most of the repairs if you have any, but after that, it can be expensive or it may not be. Yes, all repairs can be deducted at tax time on equipment. On your truck it depends on which option you are using, depreciation or mileage.

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I think if the machine is more than 5 or 6 years old or if the cost of repair is more than the cost of buying a new one over a 3 year payment plan (ie: if you pay $1200.00 a year for a new one and the cost to repair the old one is more than $1200.00 per year) then you might look at replacing the machine.

5. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

Just wanted you to know Richard took the words right out of my mouth. He hit the nail on the head. But i do have a 7yr old Snapper walkbehind that i like so much Ive put this mower through everything, and it just keeps on going. Best mower ive ever owned. Marks Mowing Service

6. Currier

Currier LawnSite Senior Member

Four years ago I bought an old weedeater brand hand blower for $25.00. It was way used when I bought it ...and we still use it all the time. I wish all equipment would hold up that well!

Also four years ago I bought a used Walker mower (1983) they put a new engine in before they delivered it. I have probably spent less than $500.00 on repairs since I bought it. So it holds up and maintenance isn't excessive...but there is still that nagging feeling that "this should be a back up and not a frontline mower" We'll see. Every time I look at buying new the prices hold me back. But it surely would be great to mow knowing that the warranty is waiting there to cushion the blow.