Wear that eye protection

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnfire, Apr 9, 2002.

1. lawnfire

lawnfire LawnSite Member

While using my string trimmer, a piece of debris flew up and hit my eye, dead center of the cornea. It blurred my vision slightly, so I went to the doc two days later, and was told I lacerated my cornea. To make a long story short, I now have scar tissue on this cornea, and my 20/20 vision is gone. I have been a full time firefighter for 13 years, and lco for four years. Never once did I think I would injure my eyes. Well, it happened to me. please wear those safety glasses.:blob2:

2. SIG

SIG LawnSite Member

As a firefighter you should have known better, A very hard lesson learned. I hope everything with your eyes is O.K. I will not let a guy work with my equipment without glasses while trimming and ear protection at all times. Personally I think you should wear glasses while mowing, tree branches can do some serious damage. Good Luck and Be Careful!!

P.S. I am not tring to be mean, I hate to hear about preventable injuries happening.

3. yardman1

yardman1 LawnSite Senior Member

lawnfire,

I had the same thing happen to me about two years ago, the rock was about the size of a golf ball hidden under some tall grass. I had no permanate damage, but it hurt like hell for about three days, it also gave me a nice big ol black eye. I do not even pick up a trimmer now without my saftey glasses on. It was lesson learned the hard way.

Kevin
    Williams Lawn Mgmt :cry:

4. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know of many that would. Safety glasses aren't expensive, you just need to get in the habit of ALWAYS wearing them.

5. TOSLC

TOSLC LawnSite Member

Kinda as a side note, we wear Smith & Wesson safety glasses. I found them at Wal-Mart in the sporting goods section. I think there about $6, there comfortable and stylish. They have clear, amber, and smoke so there is no reason not to wear them all the time (sunlight or dark).

6. LawnLad

LawnLad LawnSite Senior Member

Hearing protection with any power equipment and safety glasses for line trimmers and edgers. Some guys wear 'em when we're doing clean ups because of branches and flying dirt.

Sorry to hear of you accident. Though I must say that seeing guys not wear eye protection when line trimming always stunned me. As I'd drive downt he street I'd see guys closing their eyelids partially to avoid getting hit in the eye - if you just wear the safety glasses you don't have to wince.

7. SIG

SIG LawnSite Member

Just want to add one more tidbit- I will start wearing a face shield this year because it hurts when those rocks crack you in the nose.

8. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

I keep thinking those damn yellow jackets hurt after you bump into a nest when September starts. But then I get a nice stone right up side my cheekbone, and say, "Na, those damn stones still hurt more".....:p

And don't forget those gloves.... A good rock on the knuckles last a while, too..........
    Pete O

9. There are pro's and con's to everything. Eye protection is no exception. I was working down on the banks cutting cane with a brush hook without eye ware and the knats were swarming. If I had been wearing eye protection the knats would not have gotten in my eyes and I would have seen the gator laying in the mud hole. But as things worked out I did not see the gator and wacked him over the head with the brush hook. So as a result of not having safty glasses on I was able to pin the gator to the bank long enough to get my chain saw out of the truck and slice his tail off and my family ate for another day.

Laissez Les Bon Temps Roule

10. AK Lawn

AK Lawn LawnSite Member

Lawn Choupique, i am not sure whether the story is true or not but very interesting and one of the craziest things i have heard, hey but i am only 19 and very nieve, but crazy story anyways, keep on wearing thiose safty glasses
    AK Lawn