Wear your safety glasses!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Swampbeast, Jul 9, 2003.

1. Swampbeast

Swampbeast LawnSite Senior Member

Yesterday I was out with my mowing crews, and I was using a trimmer to edge a sidewalk. The line picked up a small rock (about 1 inch in diameter) and hurled it straight in my face. The rock smashed into the bridge of my safety glasses, and part of the right lens. It broke my glasses, but I shudder to think what might have happened had I not been wearing my safety glasses. I could easily have lost that eye, as it is, I have some severe bruises I had to get looked at this morning.

Just be careful everyone, and wear your glasses!

2. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I'm glad to hear that your all right. I see lawn crews all the time trimming with out safety glasses. I often wonder if they have ever gotten anything in their eyes. And if so, you'd think that after the first time this happened, they'd have some glasses on.
  3. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I posted a thread last month about a guy on another LCO's crew who was carted away in an ambulance after getting something in the eye while trimming. No safety glasses, and the guy ended up losing his eye (or so I heard). I always wear mine, as well as hearing protectors. Gotta wear 'em if you want to keep your sight/hearing.
  4. Lynn's Lawn Care

Lynn's Lawn Care LawnSite Member

You do not realize how much you miss your hearing and eyesight till they are gone. Unfortunately once they are gone you can not get it back. Better to be safe than sorry. Keep it safe so you can come back tommorow.
  5. Navig8r

Navig8r LawnSite Senior Member

www.losteye.com read some stories to make you realize the importance of protecting your eyes.......
  6. Swampbeast

Swampbeast LawnSite Senior Member

I still makes me shudder to think what could have happened. I just instituted a new rule in my company, everybody wears safety glasses. A few of the guys were complaining about it, but then they saw my face, all the bruises around my eye, and when I told them what happened, they hushed up real quick, and so tomorrow I am going to buy a whole bunch of safety glasses and make it mandantory from now on. I have always made them wear hearing protection of some sort, but left the eye protection up to them. Now, its a rule.

And for anybody that thinks that its not "cool" to wear safety glasses, go get yourself some Oakleys. Those are cool, and they are bullet impact resistant, and they pass the test for safety glasses in most major factories.

7. alex516

alex516 LawnSite Member

I'll share a story or two with you all.

About 2 months ago I was working with a friend's crew and was w/w against a fence line when a small pebble whipped right into my right eye. It hurt so bad I dropped the machine right there and went to my knees, after about 2 hours my eye stopped tearing but it was sore for about a day or so. That was the last day I ever trimmed w/o protection.

Here's the better one!

I was using an old 36 mower to clear a small back yard which had not been cut in about 6 months, (this was ab out a month ago) and I was already done, jsut hitting a few spots again, and I would have sworn that I saw a rock head directly towards my eye, (same eye as last time) and that was it, I dropped, make a long story short, I was tearing for about an hour or so, and was itching like crazy, I then went to local pharmacy to p/u some eye wash and that hurt worse! I must have gotten the debris into the upper part of my eye after it hit the lower part where I felt it hit, because after going to the hospital the next morning and being told that I severly tore my cornea, I could not believe it...
    Ended up having anasthetic drops put into my eyes along with dialating agent and patch over one eye for 4 days. Uggh, thank god it was over a weekend and I only really lost one day of cutting!

Moral of this story is: I now ALWAYS wear my Oakleys for everything, I just have to get an orange lens pair now, since I'm messing up the blue lens pleasure pair...
  8. 2 man crew

2 man crew LawnSite Senior Member

Conney has some nice ones you should look at. No pun intended.
  9. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

All members of all crews need to be wearing eye & ear protection. Have seen & experienced too many close calls to be rolling those dice.
    Must remember anyone NEAR us when we are working is also a potential accident victim. Many customers (kids especially) like to watch, I stop and explain the safety situation, and will not start up again until area is clear.
  10. Piedmont Lawn

Piedmont Lawn LawnSite Member

I started wearing mine about a 2 years ago just to keep grass out of my eyes while mowing, now I don't take them off until I'm through mowing, trimming and edging.

I got tired of getting that little clipping of grass in my eye that you have to wash out with a hose....