1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

wearing out hydros

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kirk brown, May 18, 2006.

1. kirk brown

kirk brown LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

i`ve got 20 hrs on my new husqvarna W/B and the habit i`ve developed is that i like to run the ground speed fairly high and find myself "riding the brakes" so to say.my question is, is it any harder on the machine to be slightly braking often or should i run the ground speed lower and the controls wide open?
  2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Your squeezing in and correcting your line or slowing down will have absolutely no negative effects on your hydros. they are built for that, and every mower does it..whether it's a rider or a wb.. That is afterall, how you actually control the speed on a Z.
  3. Steppenwolf

Steppenwolf LawnSite Senior Member

You can't kill a hydro in my experince. Just got rid of two w/b's with collective hrs of 7800hrs and never replaced anything on the hydro drive and have two units that have 7700 hrs on them now and run just as well as the day they were bought. So much cheaper to operate than a belt drive along with lower labor costs due to increased productivity. Change the filter once a year and you should be fine. Gunner's post was right on.
  4. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Hydro mowers don't really have brakes. When you squeeze the control handles your just telling the pump to slow the wheel motor. Like Runner said, that is the function of a hydro system. There are no brakes to wear out, unless you have the parking brake engaged while your moving.
  5. old dog 80

old dog 80 LawnSite Member

All hydros have belts that I have seen-you never had to change a hydro
    drive belt?
  6. Steppenwolf

Steppenwolf LawnSite Senior Member

Old dog, I was refering to the pumps,motors and hoses. Belts as with any machine are replaced on a as need basis.
  7. old dog 80

old dog 80 LawnSite Member

Pumps can go bad ,usually as a result of dirt getting into the system,but it is rare.Hoses can go bad especially if some dummy rips one on a low hanging branch,rare again as it may be.Braking is much easier with hydro units!
  8. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

on riders i thought that the hydro was just for moving the machine, not slowing it down. so is this why the machine backs up a hill slower than driving foreard? the pump has to exert reverse pressure?
  9. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

The hydro system is for both stop and go. The pump only goes one direction. When you shift from forward to reverse the valves in the pump reverse the fluid flow to the wheel motor making it spin in the opposite direction. The machine goes slower in reverse because the valve is set to flow less in that direction. It's set this way for safety reasons.
  10. ocelot27

ocelot27 LawnSite Member
    from PA

I had an old 1989 Deere 175 Hydro (home owner model) that I used when I was a kid to mow my parents 3 acres. I abused that thing like it was my job and it never failed - just sold it in perfect running condition. The point is that even the home owner grade hydros don't break. The Deere never even had a hydro fluid change. - john.